Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architecture (lack of) in letterkenny

Options
  • 24-05-2006 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Okay the carbuncle discussion has raised a few interesting issues.

For the record I think the new hotel looks great, and so did practically everybody I have talked to around the town, most believeing it to be the best design in a long time which brings me to the other thing that so many people both in the town, on discussion boards like archiseek.com (http://www.archiseek.com/content/search.php?searchid=223636) and in the national newspapers (largely Frank Mc Donald in the Irish times) have raised as a cause for concern - Letterkenny's dreadful record with regard to building design and urban architecture.

I have heard so many people complain about the new Mc Ginley Shopping centre - particularly the side facing out on to Pearse road which now dominates the town. It is unquestionably the worst piece of architectural design I have seen in years. Does anybody knoe who the architect was? Was there an archirtect or did Noel sketch it out after a few too many?

And then we have the new retail park with Dunnes et al - signed up in the sort of knock em up cheap as chips warehouse style that will be looked upon as a travesty of planning in years to come.

Is there no one in officialdom who is prepared to shout stop?

These buildings will be a blight on our landscape for years to come and the planners/architects/developers should hang their heads in shame, when so many shopping centres are being developed all over the country to International standards with careful thought given to urban impact and design and pedestrian movement, can someone explain to future generations why the relevant officials in Letterkenny were happy to settle for less?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,955 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Good post bones. I must spend a little more time in letterkenny when Im there again and look at these buildings in more detail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

The council offices isnt a bad building and there is a crane stacking telephone poles like lolipop sticks across from it if anyone knows what the hell is going on there please do tell.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

jimmeh wrote:
    The council offices isnt a bad building and there is a crane stacking telephone poles like lolipop sticks across from it if anyone knows what the hell is going on there please do tell.
    LOL, I noticed that during the weekend, and also wondered what waste of wood was going on!

byte

Of course, with regards Letterkenny shopping centres popping up everywhere, it's the exact opposite for Donegal Town. THere, everything that seems to be planned is objected to.

Letterkenny continues to grow, whereas the likes of DOnegal Town, (also Twin Towns, if you consider Tesco fiasco) are left dwindling behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Miss Polaris

byte wrote:
    LOL, I noticed that during the weekend, and also wondered what waste of wood was going on!

Are those part of the new sculpture for the errigal roundabout? thinks its supposed to represent a hull of a boat? looking for link.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Damien Blake

Are those part of the new sculpture for the errigal roundabout? thinks its supposed to represent a hull of a boat? looking for link.........

It's to be representative of a hull, and a celtic symbol. I've seen the projections, and they were on the front of the Derry People before. Should be ready in the middle of July.

I'll see can I get a graphic from the Council.

byte

Which of the many Letterkenny roundabouts is the Errigal one? Is that the one that leads off to Port Rd, Errigal Hotel, McEwens, etc?

It's to be representative of a hull, and a celtic symbol. I've seen the projections, and they were on the front of the Derry People before. Should be ready in the middle of July.

I'll see can I get a graphic from the Council.

Thats the one alright! Thanks.

The one that goes to Mt Errigal Hotel one side, Council Office on other....

Dont you just love roundabouts...especially the sandbag type one on the ballyraine/ramelton road :-p

byte

That sandbag roundabout is ridiculous!

Was on it on Saturday, when I went to drive up the new road that opened. I'm presuming a footpath will be added to the roadside at some stage, as the project looks rather unfinished at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

that sandbag roundabout will be made permanent in preparation for a road linking it to the dryarch roundabout, not gospel but thats what ive heard.

• Advertisement

jimmeh wrote:
    that sandbag roundabout will be made permanent in preparation for a road linking it to the dryarch roundabout, not gospel but thats what ive heard.

That's the plan, anyway. It's on our current Development Plan, but it's at the longer end of speculation. I spoke about it with the NRA recently- it'll be at least ten years (for the road, not the roundabout!)

The new Roundabout has worked well there, and should be made permanent this year. There had been some objections from certain councillors about it (based on reps from business people in the area) but I would be hopeful it will go through.
    That sandbag roundabout is ridiculous!

Was on it on Saturday, when I went to drive up the new road that opened. I'm presuming a footpath will be added to the roadside at some stage, as the project looks rather unfinished at the moment.

Yep, they will be. Very good cartoon in the Letterkenny Post this week about it (asking will there be an official opening down the line for the footpaths)

One other point- the "errigal" roundabout, as we're calling it here, is the Port Roundabout technically!

One other point- the "errigal" roundabout, as we're calling it here, is the Port Roundabout technically!

Think we need a naming ceremony......as long as we not naming them after councilors i dont mind what they call them :eek: :p:D

byte

Yep, they will be. Very good cartoon in the Letterkenny Post this week about it (asking will there be an official opening down the line for the footpaths)
    Ah yes, after looking at that. Hehe :)

Think we need a naming ceremony......as long as we not naming them after councilors i dont mind what they call them :eek: :p:D

I'm sure it won't take long before it gets "renamed" after we get the sculpture up on it (it's called the "polestar"), much in the way the Tinney's got their name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 The bones

That's the plan, anyway. It's on our current Development Plan, but it's at the longer end of speculation. I spoke about it with the NRA recently- it'll be at least ten years (for the road, not the roundabout!)

Damien - Why so long? Sligo are only after opening a 78 million euro inner relief road.

Can you tell us what roads are the priority in and around Letterkenny TC?

I read somewhere there are plans to have a new road through the community centre?

The bones wrote:
    Damien - Why so long? Sligo are only after opening a 78 million euro inner relief road.

Can you tell us what roads are the priority in and around Letterkenny TC?

I read somewhere there are plans to have a new road through the community centre?

Road developments are planned for two reasons. Firstly, to relieve traffic congestion or fix dangerous roads (eg Mountain Top) and secondly to open new lands required for development.

In Letterkenny, we're focussing on our own relief road, of which the new business park road forms the first link. That road will then be linked from Pramerica through to the top of Killylastin (across Windy Hall area to the top of Solomon's Hill/The Grange) and then down to either Conwall or Ballymacool at the O'Donnell Park. I'd rather see it go out to Conwall, as the O'Donnell park is likely to become a traffic blackspot itself when they start hosting County Games, and the new sports centre opens.

We are also designing new roads to link through Dunne's Stores current site to Ballymacool, and (as you've said) through the "area of Town Centre Extension" - the lands in the triangle bounded by the Pearse Road, Port Road and River Swilly.

The link from the roundabout at the Creamery to The Dry Arch Roundabout is not a priority, as there is sufficient development land available closer to the town centre, and there are worse traffic blackspots in need of new design/repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 The bones

We are also designing new roads to link through Dunne's Stores current site to Ballymacool, and (as you've said) through the "area of Town Centre Extension" - the lands in the triangle bounded by the Pearse Road, Port Road and River Swilly.

thanks for that damien.
    Re above roads - what sort of timeframe are we talking about, do the NRA have to give approval/funds for these roads?

byte

In Letterkenny, we're focussing on our own relief road, of which the new business park road forms the first link. That road will then be linked from Pramerica through to the top of Killylastin (across Windy Hall area to the top of Solomon's Hill/The Grange) and then down to either Conwall or Ballymacool at the O'Donnell Park.
    Is that the windy road that already exists that takes you by the newest housing development, and the new Nyne's Top filling station (I think Nyn'es is in the Killylastin townland)?

That road in its current state is nothing short of diabolical with all the heavy vehicles using it (moreso the area around Killylastin/Glencar Scotch).

byte wrote:
    Is that the windy road that already exists that takes you by the newest housing development, and the new Nyne's Top filling station (I think Nyn'es is in the Killylastin townland)?

That road in its current state is nothing short of diabolical with all the heavy vehicles using it (moreso the area around Killylastin/Glencar Scotch).
    Yep, that's it. The road there is in an absolute disgrace. Past the older houses (eg near Pramerica side) it's dangerously windy to take any level of traffic, and then at the far side (near the service station) it's both full of potholes and dangerous. It'll be good to get it fixed.

Repairing that road is to be undertaken as part of the planning conditions on sopme of those developments, and as part of the Council's programme. So it should be over the next few months.
    thanks for that damien.
    Re above roads - what sort of timeframe are we talking about, do the NRA have to give approval/funds for these roads?

Depends on the individual roads. Most of the roads in the Town Centre Extension area will be developer-led, ie used to open land so constructed privately then handed over before the lands can be accessed.

More infrastructural stuff, like the road past Dunnes, are council-led, so should be on a more regular timescale. We're currently on design stage on this road, so it should be ready to construct in about a year to 18 months (assuming the land acquisition goes ok, it has done recently). As far as I know, this road will be funded by the Town and County Councils, so wouldn't have to await too much approval from the NRA.

byte

Ah, thanks for replying Damien.

Tis good to see the local Mayor taking time to read and post on Boards.ie! I hope your successor does likewise! :)

Keep up the good work

• Advertisement
Advertisement