Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reality TV Shows (Big brother)and the effect they have on your life?

Options
  • 24-05-2006 12:21pm

I dont think this belong in TV section since its a thread somewhat slating them.

Now I for one don’t watch it/them
    I'd more than likely hear bit's and pieces about the latest crazy thing they have come up with to do in the house/or on the island

But I am really sick of the monopoly it has on a lot of things every summer (or whenever they are on, its fcuking everywhere
    Shown all night repeated constantly, in papers, the latest discussion in the pub etc.

It seem to be with all the reality TV shows lately from Beauty and the Geek to Celebrity love island or I'm a Celebrity get me out of here.

They seem to take over the media for a few weeks,
    Do people have nothing better to do than observe other people in habitat namely Z list celebrities or the weirdest people they can drag off the street!!

Do you think the monopoly on the media is a bit much?
    Do you think the reality TV craze will ever pass or is just fuelling our ever growing voyeuristic tendencies?

Do you bother watching them 29 votes

Yes, they have a positive effect on my life
    0% 0 votes
    No, i'd rather grate my skin off
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, they are entertaining when there's nothing on
    51% 15 votes
    Atari jaguar
    24% 7 votes
    No, never
    24% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

I think they effect they have is to dumb people down, i.e. stop them discussing important topics like the state of the health service, what a shít job the politicians are doing, the war in Iraq, etc etc. In fact it probably suits a lot of people that these programmes are so popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I think they effect they have is to dumb people down, i.e. stop them discussing important topics like the state of the health service, what a shít job the politicians are doing, the war in Iraq, etc etc. In fact it probably suits a lot of people that these programmes are so popular.
    while i agree with the above, i think that if any television programme has an effect on your life, then you really are a sad ****.

live long and prosper.

julep wrote:
    while i agree with the above, i think that if any television programme has an effect on your life, then you really are a sad ****.

live long and prosper.
    Agree with that too. Unfortunatly there are a lot of sad ***** in this world though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I hate the fact that crappy unscripted reality shows are so popular, and brilliantly scripted shows, like Arrested Development get cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

I can't be around people discussing anything like this. They are patethic programs and it's sad how many people get sucked into them. For losers if you ask me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Blisterman wrote:
    I hate the fact that crappy unscripted reality shows are so popular, and brilliantly scripted shows, like Arrested Development get cancelled.
    don't get me started on arrested development. at least there is still some hope for it. (or there was the last time i checked).

i watch a lot of television (about 12 hours a day, maybe more) and i am guilty of tuning in to big brother on occasion, but that's about as far as it goes. i did watch the surreal life (american celebrity big brother) a couple of time because 4 of my friends were invited into the house while they were holidaying in los angeles. i never caught their appearance though, so i stopped watching that piece of crap.

it seems that every second show on tv is a reality show with some pseudo celebrity trying to become the next jonathan ross. or you open the local paper to see some nobody at the opening of a new supermarket. or you see ads on the tv for the latest gossip about rod and jane from whatever show and why they broke up and which one is getting which half of their baby.

it's a sad fact, but the nation has become celebrity obsessed. the only problem is, these people they are obsessing about are only celebrities because the media tells us they are. they have absolutely no discernable talent to speak of, other than the gift of self promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

All I remember is when I used to come home on friday nights and watch family guy, 2 episodes of futurama, and king of the hill. And then one night I came home and it had been replaced live Big Brother. I'll never forgive em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i dont bother watching reality tv. it bores me, creates no interest. i tried watching a bit of big brother last night but ended up listening to mp3's after about 2 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Can't stand all that crap!!!
    Hate all the soaps tripe as well.

Complete waste of your life (I mean, it's short enough as it is, without wasting countless hours on this sort of rubbish)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I dont think this belong in TV section since its a thread somewhat slating them.

Now I for one don’t watch it/them
    I'd more than likely hear bit's and pieces about the latest crazy thing they have come up with to do in the house/or on the island

But I am really sick of the monopoly it has on a lot of things every summer (or whenever they are on, its fcuking everywhere
    Shown all night repeated constantly, in papers, the latest discussion in the pub etc.

It seem to be with all the reality TV shows lately from Beauty and the Geek to Celebrity love island or I'm a Celebrity get me out of here.

They seem to take over the media for a few weeks,
    Do people have nothing better to do than observe other people in habitat namely Z list celebrities or the weirdest people they can drag off the street!!

Do you think the monopoly on the media is a bit much?
    Do you think the reality TV craze will ever pass or is just fuelling our ever growing voyeuristic tendencies?

theres a television forum.

you know theres a television forum

use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

julep wrote:
    i watch a lot of television (about 12 hours a day, maybe more)

Dont know how you could watch that much TV. I get so restless watching any kind of TV unless it is particularly interesting, or a movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I never watch those shows - I just find them really boring.

I do find it strange that so many Sunday newspaper "journalists" write long articles analysing them as if what happens on them was some big issue for society. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

Ah it's not that bad! I enjoy it when there's nothing else on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

How do people here define a reality show? I really love Survivor. I would say it's very different to the likes of Big Brother yet it could still be called reality TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Rarely watch them, dont find them very interesting or enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

Not reality,please dont call any of these TV programs reality:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Dead right Mr Sinn... just chavs trying to outdo themselves in vulgarity and cheapness to ..well... become even bigger chavs...a sop for the working class to aim at....." Well what will little Ethan do.... well there's trials for Liverpool..or there's a chance on some reality show...off ya go son.. don't worry about that auld homework"

Dead right Mr Sinn... just chavs trying to outdo themselves in vulgarity and cheapness to ..well... become even bigger chavs...a sop for the working class to aim at....." Well what will little Ethan do.... well there's trials for Liverpool..or there's a chance on some reality show...off ya go son.. don't worry about that auld homework"
    Lol,what an ignorant thing to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's funny because it's true.

Really? Anyone I know who watches these crap reality shows are middle-class professionals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement