Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Cup Game

Options
  • 24-05-2006 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I work in a company of about 45 people and want to organise a world cup pools competition. I don’t want it to be just a simple “pull a team from a hat” thing, but don’t want it to complicated either. Any ideas I can steal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Well we stuck the 32 teams into individual envelopes but thats pretty much the same as pulling it from the hat.

A good way to split the prize money that i would recommend that every team has a chance of winning something.

32 teams @ 10euro a head.

Total prize money 320

winner 200
    runner up 60
    Worst team 30
    best team not to qualify into 2nd stage 30

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

The guys in the poker forum organised a tournament whereby you got to pick a team based on your placing in that tournament. Maybe you could do a table quiz or something and then let the winning team pick first and allocate a certain number of teams per table quiz team. 45 is a horrible number though. Aren't there 32 teams in the World Cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭Trampas

This is what we are doing in the job
    Overview:

This is a simple prediction competition. Pick your teams and the further they get in the competition the more points you accumulate. Whilst this is a world cup competition there is no real requirement for any in depth football knowledge. Entry fee wil be onl;y 5 euro and prize money will be determined by the number of entries. All entry forms to reach me by 17:00 on Friday the 9th of June, kick-off in the first game.

How to Play

The attached entry form lists the groups for the first phase of the world cup. The teams in each group are seeded 1 to 4 in accordance with their official FIFA ranking as of today. All you have to do is select one team from each group.
    Only one team may be selected from each group but to make it interesting 2 teams of each seeding must be selected, i.e.: only 2 teams seeded 1, 2 seeded 2, etc…
    Points will be awarded as laid out below with the winner being the person who gets the most points obviously.
    In the event of two identical entries being received then the following tie breakers in order apply: (I) Guess the total number of goals that will be scored in the tournament excluding penalties in any shootout (II) Total Yellow Cards (III) Total Red Cards.

Scoring.

One point for each actual point gained by your teams.
    Two points for each goal they score.
    Minus 1 for each goal conceded
    Minus 1 for each yellow card received
    Minus 2 for each red card received
    1st Phase bonus for each team that qualifies for the second phase made up of the number of actual points achieved by a team in its group multiplied by its seeding within the group, i.e.: If a seeded 1 team wins all its games, it qualifies with 9 points and a 9 point bonus is achieved whereas if a fourth seed qualifies with a win and 2 draws, 5 points, then a 20 point bonus is achieved.
    For each subsequent round points are gained as per 2-5 above with a bonus of the round number multiplied by the team seeding as follows :-
    Last 16 : Round 2 Bonus = 2*Seeding
    ¼ Final : Round 3 Bonus = 3*Seeding
    Semi Final Round 4 Bonus = 4*Seeding
    Winners of 3rd /4th place pay-off get 3 Bonus points multiplied by their original group seeding
    Winners of final get 5 points multiplied by their original group seeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

You could try this instead. Rather than just a lottery of teams do a score prediction competition. 2 points for correct result, 5 points for exact score or something like that, plus theres some bonus scores on the 2nd sheet. thats what we are doing in here. it gives everyone a chance, rather than some people losing interest before its started because their team hasn't a hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Bill McH

You could try this instead. Rather than just a lottery of teams do a score prediction competition. 2 points for correct result, 5 points for exact score or something like that, plus theres some bonus scores on the 2nd sheet. thats what we are doing in here. it gives everyone a chance, rather than some people losing interest before its started because their team hasn't a hope
    That's a good type of competition to have, and doesn't particular favour those who have an in-depth knowledge of football. Obviously, complete ignorance of the game and the teams is not going to be a help though.

I played in a similar one a few years ago. It involved prediction of the scores for each game in the first stage, with (as you say) something like 2 points for the correct result and 5 points for the exact score. We were also asked to predict the winners of each group (something like 5 points each), the four semi-finalists (another 5 or so each) and the winner (somewhere between 5 and 10, I can't remember). We also had to predict the scores in each of the knockout rounds - but this can be tricky, given that people have holidays, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement