Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No TV Licence, What happens if you're caught?

Options
  • 24-05-2006 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi,

Was listening to RTE's recent TV licence ads in which they state you COULD end up in court if you have no licence. I've heard that when you're actually caught, all the inspector does is sell you one on your doorstep. I'm sure it's administrativly too expensive to take everyone caught to court. It's probably only people who get abusive or refuse to pay afterwards that end up in court and in your local newspaper.

Has anyone out there experienced this scenario? Is it true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

buy a tv license sponge :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I never risked finding out. I couldn't live the the shame of being judged by my peroxide-blonde airhead girlfriend or having my tarted-up 20 year old secretary passing comments about me behind my back because I *really* value their opinions *that* much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 hill

I've always wonderered how they'd ever find out.

I mean they can't have access to NTLs database without subpena'ing it (data protection).

I suppose an aerial on your roof might be grounds for a warrent to search your house but I doubt any judge would issue it.

How do they know you have a TV - don't say detector van!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

hill wrote:
    I've always wonderered how they'd ever find out.

I mean they can't have access to NTLs database without subpena'ing it (data protection).

I suppose an aerial on your roof might be grounds for a warrent to search your house but I doubt any judge would issue it.

How do they know you have a TV - don't say detector van!

AFAIK they use the registerof electors and compare it with those who have paid licence in a particular area. They then call to the remaining houses, some of which may not have a TV anyway.

If you are caught without a licence, they give you the opportunity of getting one. Those people who end up in court have refused to get one despite several warnings.

PS You pay the licence for having a TV Set - nothing to do with what you watch on it (so you can't say 'well I don't watch RTE' etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

They call to your door, and ask to come in. If you refuse (Which you can do) They'll assume you have a tv, so they'll get a entry warrant thingy, then if they find a tv, they'll probably bring you to court (For wasting time etc)

If you agree to let them enter and you have a tv they'll probably fine you, I think something like €1000.

Also I think if you sign up to NTL/SKY/Buy a TV in Argos or anywhere they pass your information on to the license people. At least they do in england. I bought a freeview box and a letter came from the license people saying "You've bought a tv sigal receiver, you better have a license"

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

tv Sponger....tv Sponger....tv Sponger....tv Sponger....tv Sponger....tv Sponger....tv Sponger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Lump wrote:
    They call to your door, and ask to come in. If you refuse (Which you can do) They'll assume you have a tv, so they'll get a entry warrant thingy, then if they find a tv, they'll probably bring you to court (For wasting time etc)

Doubt it. You can refuse and they will piss off and eventually may get a warrant. This will take a few days at least. In the meantime you buy a licence, saying I only just got a tv. Feck all they can do about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭JohnnySideburns

Pigman II wrote:
    I never risked finding out. I couldn't live the the shame of being judged by my peroxide-blonde airhead girlfriend or having my tarted-up 20 year old secretary passing comments about me behind my back because I *really* value their opinions *that* much.

Good point. The advertising has no effect on me either.
    BaZmO* wrote:
    tv Sponger....tv Sponger....tv Sponger....tv Sponger....tv Sponger....tv Sponger....tv Sponger

I will pay my TV licence when the licence money is given to the independent Irish production sector and not RTE. RTE is an inefficient former state monopoly that has always given me any old crap that it wants. Then they would put out an ad telling me how brilliant they are and why I should pay my TV licence. (Note that strategy mustn't have worked as they're using their current scare tactics)

There is absolutely no reason why Irish based TV can't be exported to other countries. The international success of Ballykissangel (shown in the UK and Australia) and Father Ted (shown in UK, US, Austrailia and primetime viewing in Holland before it was shown in Ireland) have proved this. Hat Trick productions make Father Ted, RTE make Upwardly Mobile. Need I say more.

Oh sorry, there is a reason why Irish TV can't be exported, RTE is in the way!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The way it works is quite like as has been said. There is a list of addresses that have a licence, so those that don't get a letter sent to them. If you don't respond the inspector may call by and ask if you have a TV. You don't have to let him in or tell him you have one, but since he could just look in the window and see the TV it can be difficult to claim it's not there.

Once they know you have a TV then you'll get more letters demanding you pay up. If you don't then a court summons will be issued. It's up to the judge to decide how much the fine will be. The max is something like €1000, but the normal fine is usually €50-100. No one has ever been sent to prison for not paying their TV licence.

It's also not only a TV you need the licence for. The licence is for any aparatus capable of receiving a television signal. So an aerial or satellite dish also count, even if you have no TV.

I agree, the licence is a waste of money and you shouldn't have to pay €150 a year on top of paying Sky/Chorus/NTL to recieve the channels in the first place, for rubish like Stew, You're a Star, Fair City and Naked Camera. The only thing I've watched on RTE in the last year was Podge and Rodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

I got a knock on the door last year, told him I had hust only moved into the apartment and just got married so TV and stuff was all new, he gave me 10 days to buy one. No warning letter he just knocked, he seemed fairly ok about it,

• Advertisement

I will pay my TV licence when the licence money is given to the independent Irish production sector and not RTE

or why not obey the law and pay like other people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

jor el wrote:
    The licence is for any aparatus capable of receiving a television signal.

Is that the strict definition of it? If I only used a tv for watching dvds/vhs etc and removed the part of the mechanism that deals with outside television signals could I avoid paying the licence?

Failing that is it possible to buy tv's that have no tuning mechanisms in them but can still deal with inputs from dvd players etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭JohnnySideburns

Mossy Monk wrote:
    or why not obey the law and pay like other people?

I explain why in the rest of my thread.

I will pay my TV licence when the licence money is given to the independent Irish production sector and not RTE. RTE is an inefficient former state monopoly that has always given me any old crap that it wants. Then they would put out an ad telling me how brilliant they are and why I should pay my TV licence. (Note that strategy mustn't have worked as they're using their current scare tactics)
    QUOTE]

That is a silly argument. No one is forcing you to buy a television set. What next - refuse to get a driving licence because you don't like the condition of the roads! Refuse to pay income tax because you don't like the Government in power!

Once again the honest citizen is forced to subsidise the sponger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

they will give you a warning the first time you are caught... just wait till they call and catch you , then buy one....

Pigman II wrote:
    Is that the strict definition of it? If I only used a tv for watching dvds/vhs etc and removed the part of the mechanism that deals with outside television signals could I avoid paying the licence?

Failing that is it possible to buy tv's that have no tuning mechanisms in them but can still deal with inputs from dvd players etc?

"the expression "wireless telegraphy" means and includes any system of communicating messages, spoken words, music, images, pictures, prints, or other communications, sounds, signs, or signals by means of radiated electro-magnetic waves originating in an apparatus or device constructed for the purpose of originating such communications, sounds, signs, or signals;"

"the expression "apparatus for wireless telegraphy" means apparatus for sending and receiving or for sending only or for receiving only messages, spoken words, music, images, pictures, prints, or other communications, sounds, signs, or signals by wireless telegraphy and includes any part of such apparatus and any article primarily designed for use as part of such apparatus and not capable of being conveniently used for any other purpose;"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

The general perception is that RTE do not return value for money. It seems that when you pay your TV License money, 40% of it goes to Gerry Ryan so that he can ask his researchers to get him another cream bun live on air and make irritating lip-smacking sounds [?] as he excercises his critically self-indugled jowls. 40% goes to Pat Kenny so that he can bandy about dry, tongue-in-cheek, pseudo-intellectual wittiscisms while emulating a plank with a microphone. Seemingly another 10% goes to Gay Byrne so he won't sign up with TV3 [!?! Cue retching sounds Colette !?!] - There are 99 or so other "personalities" - but they hardly deserve a mention.....With the possible exception of the Telly Bingo Diva that broke contract and put his/her/whatever pants back on.

8% is spent on admin. and miscellaneous bonuses for the assorted RTE VIPs, while the remaining 2% of their annual budget is squandered on half-heartedly copying programs that were a success in other countries. These are invariably low-quality and limp pathethically before keeling over and dieing completely before the end credits roll. There was never anyone in RTE that could spot a winner such as Father Ted - we needed Channel Four to make a go of that.

I personally would only ever buy a TV license as an absolute last resort, and no, I don't think I'm getting something for nothing as I don't suffer any of their dire programming - and for a fact they should be paying people to watch most of it.

* Edit to add disclaimer *

Disclaimer: All facts as described in the above post may not in fact be factual facts. Any similarity to RTE celebrities both living or deceased is coincidental and/or accidental while simultaneously being almost certainly incidental. It was not the authors intent to imply that anybody named in the above post is overpaid to the exact inverse degree that they are devoid of talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Slightly off topic, but would one be expected to pay for a TV licence if they were using a TV Tuner in their computer? or even just a standard external tuner with a computer screen?

yes

any sort of tv tuner requires a license. even if you just have a vcr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Mossy Monk wrote:
    yes

any sort of tv tuner requires a license. even if you just have a vcr

What if I have a coat hanger, a magnet and a pane of glass? :D

• Advertisement

if it can tune in tv signals then yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

I will pay my TV licence when the licence money is given to the independent Irish production sector and not RTE.
    absolute bull**** excuse, you don't get value for money on road tax but you still have to pay it, stop breaking the law and trying to justify it as if on some moral high ground

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

wow i have never seen so many people for tv licences, ever, i think they are the biggest waste of money in this country

my opinion dont pay till caught, then get one

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

That's not good advice. It's also leaning towards illegal not getting a TV license.

If you're not going to buy a license, fine. Your problem.

Case closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement