Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracked Dell Inspiron 6000 Screen

Options
  • 23-05-2006 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend recently had a laptop accident and the screen got cracked. It's a Dell Inspiron 6000, as mentioned in the thread title, with a 15.4" WXGA screen.
    Now, I had look at it, and I'm almost sure that the only damage is in the screen, and I'm certain that the screen itself is cracked, and not any other error, so it'll need to be replaced.
    The warranty it was under only covered manufacturer's faults, and that's obviously no help, so it's going to have to be replaced. Having rung a few repair places (most of which wouldn't have anything to do with it), we got a rough quote from one place of €500+ for the replacement.

Now, I did some looking on ebay, and I found this. I'm just wondering if it would be a good idea to buy this screen, or a similar screen, and try and fit it myself.
    I don't have any experience in putting laptops together, but I've done a good bit of PC assembly, and looked at some online guides about fitting screens (couldn't find a guide specific to the Inspiron 6000, but found a guide for another Dell laptop), and it didn't look particularly difficult, but of course I can't really be sure, since it wasn't the exact model.

Has anyone here had experience with replacing the screen on this specific laptop? Or any advice? (such as totally discouraging me from doing it?)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

ive done it on a toshiba satteelite easy enough really just plug in the connectors and attach it to the laptop

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Ive done it on a Compaq presario and It was easy....

But some laptops require a greater amount of stripping down.....

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

See enclosed the Service manual for the Inspiron 6000, this may help you.

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6000/en/sm/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Cheers for the comments guys, and thanks TommyGun for the service manual. That's seriously helpful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

No Problem, the best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement