Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living abroad and sending home cash?

Options
  • 23-05-2006 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

I'm planning to move to the US late this year/early next year and as I have a loan that will still be outstanding then I enquired at the bank today what my options would be. Hah, and they were unsuprisingly bleak about said options.

And as such I know there's several services that would let me wire money abroad, but what would be the best way of sending cash back to Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Hmm I never have sent money back to Ireland (ive lived in the US for a year now). I know theres Western Union and other wire services offered. Any idea what bank you are going to use if you are setting up a bank accout there? I always used to send money TO the US via a US dollar draft, was easiest for me, as my wife used to deposit that when in the US.
    Id say your options are a bank draft, western union (but expect to pay alot) and whatever your bank offers. Come to think of it, I did transfer money directly in my bank account back in Ireland (I think there was a small "outgoing fee", but not much) Normally the international services for new customers are pretty good in US banks from my experience. Of course you will be hurt with the current exchange rate :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I'm with Ulster Bank and the teller indicated they had no such provisions for cash coming in from abroad. I had a quick look at Western Union and I can send $300 for a fee of $8, which isn't that bad, considering its once a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ah sure you're set so, I wasnt sure how much you were going to be sending back and didnt want to be nosey. If this is a permanent move, you might want to read my thread (think its on Abroad here somewhere) on building your credit score and so on. Its also on Immigration forum on boards.us. Best of luck with the move :)

Advertisement