Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dvi To Hdmi Connection

Options
  • 23-05-2006 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

i have a phillips plasma with a dvi connection and was wondering if i can hook this up to the sky hd box with a dvi to hdmi cable...any info please..THX

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

hoganpoly wrote:
    i have a phillips plasma with a dvi connection and was wondering if i can hook this up to the sky hd box with a dvi to hdmi cable...any info please..THX

Theres a small adapter you can get which converts HDMI to DVI

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

thx for the reply suppose maplins would be a good place to go for cable

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Probably a good place to get it alright. You'll need to wire up the audio seperately, as DVI doesn't allow for audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I have this same problem - a Philips TV with a DVI input. I can get the HD vision from my STB working but unfortunately no sound. I know DVI is an analogue standard and does not support sound.

Has anyone cracked this ? How exactly do you get the sound working ? I presume I need to run some sort of separate cable but the Philips user manual is not helpful on this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

dvi is a digital or analog standard, and on your tv is 99% definite to be digital.

run a seperate red/white analog audio cable to the audio inputs on your tv associated with the dvi. you may hve to tell the tv in the menu which audio input to use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭macronot

I had the same problem - got a dvi to hdmi cable from ebay about €6 and used a rca cable from the tv to the box.

macronot wrote: »
    I had the same problem - got a dvi to hdmi cable from ebay about €6 and used a rca cable from the tv to the box.

Thanks lads for your help! I have the Hdmi to DVI working for vision and I 've tried connecting red and white cables from the set top box to the TV for sound - but with no luck.

The trouble is the Philips TV has to be set to receive on either HD or AV/SHVS. When set to HD it receives the picture and when set to AV/SHVS it receives just the sound.

I notice on the back of the TV there's a port called DVI audio input and I'm wondering do I need a cable to connect this to maybe the SPDIF port on the set top box ?

On an aside why on earth do Philips use this DVI port when there's a perfectly good HDMI-HDMI standard that supports both vision and sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

because they have that DVI input there for PC connection me thinks.

Reyman wrote: »

I notice on the back of the TV there's a port called DVI audio input and I'm wondering do I need a cable to connect this to maybe the SPDIF port on the set top box ?

thats wht you need to connect to...but what type of connection is it? red/white analog? spdif? headphone? seen all 3 beside dvi ports so need to know which type

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

mossym wrote: »
    dvi is a digital or analogue standard, and on your tv is 99% definite to be digital.

run a separate red/white analog audio cable to the audio inputs on your tv associated with the DVI. you may have to tell the tv in the menu which audio input to use

I've an ATI 3450 card that should do audio over DVI to HDMI though the converter I think?
    Its certainly installed an audio driver for the card, I've not hooked it up to a proper HD TV yet but it does play HD content brilliantly on my pc.

Maybe the DVI standard was video only, but ATI have modified that?, would love to know if I wont get sound before I splurge out on that HD TV in the January sales next year!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

they just used a couple of unused pins on the dvi port. that is why it only works with the ati dvi -hdmi dongle for sound, any other dongle doesn't have those pins wired

I'm going to have to write to Philips to get an answer. There's something mentioned in the user manual, but I suspect they get 5 year olds to write these manuals because it's not too useful for explaining anything.

I'm going to have to write to Philips to get an answer. There's something mentioned in the user manual, but I suspect they get 5 year olds to write these manuals because it's not too useful for explaining anything.

what shape is it? square? one small hole? two holes?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

It's a 3.5mm stereo socket like a headphone socket on an MP3 player.
    You can easily get a lead with RCA plugs on one end and 3.5mm jack on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

You could try some of these, cheap but a couple of weeks wait:-

http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.hdmi%20dvi

And

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5143

I know the OP is sorted but someone might find this in a search later :)

seems silly to wiat 2 weeks when they only cost a few euros at maplin, shipping from the states would probably be more.

Hoagy wrote: »
    It's a 3.5mm stereo socket like a headphone socket on an MP3 player.
    You can easily get a lead with RCA plugs on one end and 3.5mm jack on the other.

Thanks Hoagy and everyone else. I contacted Philips and they confirmed exactly what you say --- I need an RCA to 3.5mm adaptor to go from the set top box to the DVI audio input in the TV.

You'd wonder why Philips make it so complicated to get HD ?

Advertisement