Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carbuncle in letterkenny

Options
  • 23-05-2006 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

what does anyone think of this on lettterkenny's main street.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Should you not make a comment first and then watch us all wade in? I thought all OPs had to express their thoughts on the matter they are posting about.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,955 ✭✭✭✭muffler

emmemm wrote:
    what does anyone think of this on lettterkenny's main street.
    What are you on about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

Faces the courthouse.A hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Damien Blake

emmemm wrote:
    Faces the courthouse.A hotel.

So you're not a fan? I haven't been in it much (I think I've only been in there once so far) but I like what they've done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

I have to say, I don't particularly like it. It stands out and they would need to do something to the remaining frontage (between Milan and the glass front).

But just because it isn't to my taste doesn't mean to say it's not a good design.
    It's one of those beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that!

• Advertisement

I have only seen it from passing by and have to say that first impressions are that it looks OK but I will refrain from detailed comment for the time being. I will stop and have a proper look both inside and out the next I go on the razzle around Letterkenny.

The one obvious feature which is a bit overbearing is the sheer scale of glass. The last time I was driving past I could see these young males up on the first floor making certain gestures to people on a bus. Not the image you need potrayed but if someone had have given it a wee bit more thought and used semi-obscure or tinted glass it would have been more appealing.

The thought of hidden treasures are more sought after than the goldfish in a bowl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

They have started the front of Mc Carrys yesterday and seem to be getting the new front sorted quickly. Should look better then.

The upstairs bar is great to watch the world go by with a tipple.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Have been in it once. I think it's just OK, not overly keen on the glass.

Still can't beat The Casbah tbh! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 The bones

This might need a new thread but what about the state of the new retail park and the part of Mc Ginley's that faces onto Pearse road - both of which are awful and both of which will be a blight on the town for years to come.

Who in the council is taking responsibility to ensure that visual standards for such buildings are enforced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

It's a damn site better than what was there before. I like its modern look.

• Advertisement

The bones wrote:
    This might need a new thread but what about the state of the new retail park and the part of Mc Ginley's that faces onto Pearse road - both of which are awful and both of which will be a blight on the town for years to come.

Who in the council is taking responsibility to ensure that visual standards for such buildings are enforced?
    Indeed it will need a new thread.

This thread is titled "carbuncle in letterkenny" which is referring to the new hotel. I think any other references to architecture (or the lack of) in Letterkenny needs to be discussed in a different thread.

And it could be a popular topic

I think it's a total blott on the townscape.More out of place it could not be.
    A laughing stock for visitors.For locals it can't be avoided unfortunately.
    Planning's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

emmemm wrote:
    I think it's a total blott on the townscape.More out of place it could not be.
    A laughing stock for visitors.For locals it can't be avoided unfortunately.
    Planning's a joke.

I quite like it. It is good to see a change in the architecture and credit to the planners for allowing it, rather than stifling the design. It stands out, but then all good buildings should stand out.

as kenny everett nearly said

its in the worst possible place

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

Going by the pics on the website, the inside looks pretty much like just about any hotel anywhere. I'll won't comment (too much) on the outside appeareance until I see it in the flesh next time I'm home.

But, to be honest, if we're trying to attract the auld foreign tourists I don't think they'll come for the modern look. But, maybe the local (Irish) tourists will.

Think we stopped caring about foreign tourists when we distroyed Donegals Scenery with holiday homes

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Think we stopped caring about foreign tourists when we distroyed Donegals Scenery with holiday homes
    Yes, all these holiday home developments are becoming quite the eyesore. Popping up like windmills. At least the windmills have an environment friendly purpose.

When driving toward Port-na-Blagh from Creeslough always looked forward to the first sight of the sea that appeared suddenly as you went round a bend.It seemed almost higher than the road in it's vastness and so blue.
    Then two years ago,like a slap on the face,five or six holiday homes blocking the view.
    So,in one foul swoop, the planners destroyed scenery enjoyed by thousands each year for the exclusive pleasure of a handful of holidaymakers.
    Paddy's old goat could plan better.

I think I know what you are on about, haven't been down that road in a while.. you have to be joking...... is this why they improved the back of errigal... so we wouldn't see the like of that....

Well enough said, or should I say done.

We may hope for some sort of broadband industry until India is fluent in English as this is our only hope of Medium term employment!

Funny... the next time we endure an economic downturn, there will be nothing to come back to, unless those computer fanatics coming to see what a derilict factory looks like.

Corrupt and incompenent planners should face long jail terms.... fellow traveller politicians should be stripped of their assets.

emmemm wrote:
    Paddy's old goat could plan better.
    What have you got against goats :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement