Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voip Newbie

Options
  • 22-05-2006 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭

Parents want to set up webcam and voip to talk to grandkids abroad ahhhh:D

dont know much about set up etc

Sister in Uk has Skype so thinking of going with this

now to the crux any other options and what is the best webcam to get for quality

Easy to set up including mic ?

They are on Utv lite BB & phone

If in wrong forum mods delete / move

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Parents want to set up webcam and voip to talk to grandkids abroad ahhhh:D

dont know much about set up etc

Sister in Uk has Skype so thinking of going with this

now to the crux any other options and what is the best webcam to get for quality

Easy to set up including mic ?
    The out and out simplest solution is to use MSN Messenger. It's a replacement for Windows Messenger that's probably already installed.

If you don't have a webcam, you can start off just doing voice messenging, to verify that everything is working. Just add a basic €20 webcam to start with (you don't need one at both ends for testing - see if you know anyone that already has one, and try a video session with them to see what sort of quality you're likely to get).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Cheers

Yeah well aware of MSN messenger but to try to explain it to your parents
    when they find it difficult enough with email

May just go with Skype as its seems easy to use and set up & then
    show them Msn when they get more comfortable as they are PC illiterate

In relation to webcams what do I look for when buying

Checked out komplett, Argos, e-bay, PC World, marxcomputers etc
    & they range in price from €13 to over €100

Anyone got any suggestions

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I'd recommend Skype too.. UI is a lot easier, and the quality of voice & video is a lot better over good and poor net connections, in my experience. Noticably better.

The one thing I'd recommend is a headset though, as you'll have a lot of echo without it (i.e. your mic picking up the grandkids through the PC speakers, and relaying it back to them, so they hear themselves a second later again).. which can make a call annoying. If you can't get a headset (any cheapie will do), then at least get a separate uni-directional mic (those cheap ones on the long stick), place it close to your grandparent, and turn the speakers down as low as they can.

I wouldn't recommend a webcam with built in mic (for the above reasons), but after that, any cheap webcam will do.

Advertisement