Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What cable and where to buy.

Options
  • 22-05-2006 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

I am relocating a dish and need 20 meters approx cable. The original cable is a white double screen co-ax with solid core and solid inner insulation. I would like to use similar or better but I don't know what this cable is called. It seems to be of a higher grade than what I have been shown in the local electrical wholesalers as satellite cable (CT100 or RG6U). I have tried using some of this cable but the signal loss is too great for a basic overall system. Also can I buy this kind of cable in a bricks and mortar shop in the west or is it online only.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

You just need to ask for RG6 solid core. Try most sat shops around your area. It is available somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

Are there different grades of this e.g. differemt impedencies or is any decent one good enough for two to three months on a basic system. Sorry for the stoopid questions but this is not my area of technical expertiese.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

If you are going running the cable over 20 metres I would go for CT100, if you can get your hands on some ct125 then all the better. RG6 is pretty poor imho especially over 20m.

As to where to get it, I think BandQ stock it aint 100%, satellite.ie would have it as well I reckon. Also theres a shop in Ballyhaunis up on knock street that I got some ct100 in before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

Cheers Ronan,

After messing about for a day I went down to Michael Gunnings the following morning and got 16 meters of cable from him that worked. I never even checked the rating but much better quality than the RG6 I had. Perfect CBeeBies reception happy days.

P.S. see you are overseas at last how are you finding it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 NoEscape

i used RG6 solid core and so far its been fine

• Advertisement
Advertisement