Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cylons

Options
  • 22-05-2006 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

I know Cylons were created by humans, but that aside, I have a few questions about them.

What were they originally used for, and when was this? Were they always robots aware of themselves or did they start off as basic, programmed droids?

How did robots created by man get to the stage where they could consciously declare war and force a truce? Where did they get weapons and the other means to wage war?

How do they manufacture entire massive battleships and raiders, where did they initially acquire this knowledge to construct said things?

How long ago was it that they founded their own homeworld, and how does it operate? Is it a world full of factories and industry for war? Or is it a social enviroment with classes?

Is everything the Cylons do conscious? Do they have a single protocol to destroy humanity or are they beings with free thought? Did they wage war because they felt oppressed or because someone programmed them to do so? Do they build ships, factories and soldiers because they think they need to, or because they are programmed to do so?

How did they make the new Cylon models? Are these the first Cylons with genuine range of emotion? If so, who built them and how?

I think my main question is about how the Cylons actually think - if they do consciously think - and function as a race, and how this is reflected in their origin.

Just find it very interesting. I don't think any of these questions have really been answered in the new BSG, and was just wondering if there is some sort of definative source that would answer these questions...I'm not sure if what I'm trying to ask is being reflected in my questions very well!

PS - Does anyone else think the Cylon Centurions look almost exactly like the super battle droids in Star Wars - even right down to the twin weapons in the forearm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Useless fact of the day: in the original series the cylons weren't created by humans...woo-oh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Was some lizard race wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

BSG is an excellent TV program.. that aside.. thats all it is!!
    I do not think there are many answers to your questions. Its not real its just a TV show :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

The cylons started out as hairdresser units, but the where corrupted when an ill-advised mullet revival happened.

Its all documented here, the night of a thousand haircuts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

gatecrash wrote:
    Was some lizard race wasn't it?

I vaguely remember reading something similar in an old BSG annual. More bizarre it said something like that at a young age they had metal grafted to them to become cylon warriors. Of course that doesn't match with the episode where Baltar escapes from the prison ship but his Cylons didn't work because they'd taken them apart and couldn't put them back together correctly - something as a child at that time I frequently did :)

D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Saruman wrote:
    BSG is an excellent TV program.. that aside.. thats all it is!!
    I do not think there are many answers to your questions. Its not real its just a TV show :D

Haha, true I suppose...:D

And yeah, I remember when I was younger watching the BSG movie, there was some sort of reptilian leader that commanded the cylons...

Excellent link Rev, much thanks...still leaves most of my questions unanswered though...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

I think all your questions will be answered by the 'Caprica' series.

Thats a challenge actually, the writers will have to write a credible Cylon history, if they don't it'll flop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Scr&#225 wrote: »
    I think all your questions will be answered by the 'Caprica' series.

Thats a challenge actually, the writers will have to write a credible Cylon history, if they don't it'll flop.

Yeah, I just spotted that thread after I posted this one! It's exactly what I'm looking for....but as you said, it better be credible...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

HavoK wrote:
    I know Cylons were created by humans, but that aside, I have a few questions about them.

What were they originally used for, and when was this? Were they always robots aware of themselves or did they start off as basic, programmed droids?

How did robots created by man get to the stage where they could consciously declare war and force a truce? Where did they get weapons and the other means to wage war?

How do they manufacture entire massive battleships and raiders, where did they initially acquire this knowledge to construct said things?

Maybe they incited war between the different colonies initially - sparking off conflict and amid the chaos seizing ships.

Or maybe they were in charge of automated productions facilities and wiped out their human supervisors!
    HavoK wrote:
    Is everything the Cylons do conscious? Do they have a single protocol to destroy humanity or are they beings with free thought?
    I think my main question is about how the Cylons actually think - if they do consciously think - and function as a race, and how this is reflected in their origin.

Maybe it was like the events shown in the Animatrix - y'know, machines become increasingly intelligent yet humanity becomes ever more disdainful. I think BSG has been at pains to show the ambiguous nature of humanity. Far from virtuous and certainly complicit in our own downfall. Adama, certainly, mentions more than once that humanity got itself into this situation by virtue of its nature
    HavoK wrote:
    PS - Does anyone else think the Cylon Centurions look almost exactly like the super battle droids in Star Wars - even right down to the twin weapons in the forearm?

Yeah, suppose they are. You're not suggesting that someone in sci-fi plagarised are you Havok? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Saruman wrote:
    Its not real its just a TV show :D

It's not real?! :eek: Why do you have to ruin these things for me? :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement