Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VoIP Hardware

Options
  • 22-05-2006 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    I have recently started doing VoIP over my Clearwire connection
    (can't get an Eircom landline - but thats a long story)

I currently use:
    The clearwire modem -> Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router -> My Laptop -> US Robotics USB phone
    For VoIP I use a combination of Blueface and Voipstunt

I want to start using my DECT phone for the calls and eliminate the softphone dialler/Laptop.

So I'm looking for recommendations of a suitable ATA?
    And Suppliers in Ireland?

I looked arounnd CC over the weekend but none of the Pc Hardware shops could offer anything but USB Phones.

If Possible I'm looking for An ATA that I can program with multiple profiles to dynamically switch between VoIP providers - is this possible?

Also, i'll be plugging the ATA into the Linksys Wireless router... do I need to do port forwarding on the router for Voip to work?

If so what ports?

Thanks in Advance!
    (and before anyone suggests it, the search function on Boards seems to be missing!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

geecee wrote:
    I looked around CC over the weekend but none of the Pc Hardware shops could offer anything but USB Phones.

Any number of online sites sell Granstream & Linksys ATA's. Google will provide

If Possible I'm looking for An ATA that I can program with multiple profiles to dynamically switch between VoIP providers - is this possible?

There are dual-FXS ATA's like the Grandstream 386 where you can use 2 independent SIP accounts but you'd need two handsets for that to conveniently handle the 2 SIP accounts with different providers. I don't think you'll get an ATA that will dynamically choose different providers based on number dialled if that's what you're thinking of. You're heading into Asterisk PABX territory there and that's a whole different ballgame.

Also, i'll be plugging the ATA into the Linksys Wireless router... do I need to do port forwarding on the router for Voip to work?

No you should be fine.

Advertisement