Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL BB and VOIP or Smart Telecom?

Options
  • 21-05-2006 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to determine what setup to get in my new appartment, I can't choose between NTL BB with a VOIP provider or just go all the way with Smart Telecom.

Any help in choosing would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Noelie wrote:
    I'm trying to determine what setup to get in my new appartment, I can't choose between NTL BB with a VOIP provider or just go all the way with Smart Telecom.

Any help in choosing would be great, thanks.

Well just to start the ball rolling - Smart would appear to be the cheaper option - i dont know if speed is an issue for you but the basic Smart product - 3Mb costs 35 euros with free line rental.

A similar product from NTL would cost 50 euros - basic tv package - 20 euros and bb 30 euros.

One factor is whether you will be getting Ntl anyways for the tv package. Smart offer an 076 number but you dont have to be a Smart customer to avail of this service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

NTL is normally quick to set up. I've never used Smart but I can vouch that NTL is excellent. As said above, if you are getting TV with NTL it is probably worth getting BB from them too. If you have no interest in TV Smart could be best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I suppose you're starting from scratch so there will be a €120 install charge from eircom to get the line in and then probably about a month before Smart has gotten the broadband up and running. I don't know what NTL charges for installations and I'm sure people will claim that they do it for free, but they do their BB installations a lot quicker than eircom and Smart would. If you're in an apartment you're stuck with NTL for TV in any event, so you may as well get their broadband and try to beat them down on the install price or get free analogue TV for a while or whatever.

Advertisement