Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i realy need to know how to play mode's

Options
  • 21-05-2006 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

hey iv been playing guitar over 3 years now i thought my self for over 2 years and decided to go to get lessons(as at time you canot teach youself everything...i speak for myself) i did interviles and all the scale's in over a month and thought that was good enough to stop going to them..now iv jus been told that you rely need too know mode's and get lessons to understand them...

just looking for advice if i would need lessons to learn them..
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's good to know at least a few to prevent your playing from becoming repetitive. It's just another bit of knowledge that's nice to have and using some modes can really alter the mood of a song easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Depends what you want to play really. Its a good way to learn the fret board which is one of the most important things as a guitarist. If you're used to playing pentatonic scales then yes its good to know the modes just to avoid limiting your playing, they're a good way to develop melodic appreciation and very helpful for building chords.

Basically they ensure you play in key and that you can play all the notes in that key, with each different mode sharing the same notes but with a different root note, so the 2nd mode in the key of C major would be
    D E F G A B C
    Just dont get obsessed with them and you'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

hey iv been playing guitar over 3 years now i thought my self for over 2 years and decided to go to get lessons(as at time you canot teach youself everything...i speak for myself) i did interviles and all the scale's in over a month and thought that was good enough to stop going to them..now iv jus been told that you rely need too know mode's and get lessons to understand them...

just looking for advice if i would need lessons to learn them..
    thanks

lessons would be quicker until you can grasp the idea of them realise them by yourself, there just scales aswell for example an eminor dorian has raised sixth so it becomes idnetical to the dmaj scale (only the start note is e so you have

1. regualr eminor scale e f# g a b c d e
    2. eminor dorain e f# g a b c#d e

so over a chordal progression like

em am7 d9 g
    you could use scale 1 over this

em A7 bm em
    you could use scale 2 over this as the regular scale with the c natural won't fit over the A dominant 7

that is a very basic outline of the theory

Advertisement