Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we bother entering Eurovision next year??

Options
  • 21-05-2006 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

OK, so we did do quite well this year coming 10th, Well done Brian :)

But should we bother entering Eurovision next year? Italy and Austria have withdrawn, France didnt seem to care this year. Germany's song sounded like a country n western number from the USA, nice song though.

But isn't it really gone to the dogs now altogther with Finland's song wining, (fair play to them but) All the block voting is got out of hand.

I read that we gave Lithuania 12 points? What the ...., that song was like a football chant. I'm sure it's easy to figure out how Lithuania got so many points from us....

Maybe the contest should be renamed The EastEurovision Song Contest.

Any way should we bother entering again next year?

Should we bother entering Eurovision next year? 39 votes

Yes - with the same approach
    0% 0 votes
    Yes - with different approach (semi naked chicks / blokes jumping and twirling around)
    20% 8 votes
    No - and while we're at it rename it EastEurovision Song Contest
    51% 20 votes
    No!
    15% 6 votes
    I dont care two hoots
    12% 5 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Surely the fact that Finland won this year, having never won before, is proof that block voting doesn't really guarantee a win? Surely it shows that anyone can do it if they don't go down the same old route and put a leeeelte bit of thought into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭slovessmg

There was loads of Bulletins going around MySpace saying vote for Finland's act cos it was heavy metal and not the norm for the contest. They prob just have a big internet following around Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

should we even care tbh.

it was fun watching lordi win it this year, as they actually had a bit of talent unlike the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

It was a fresh blast to see lordi win, and actually I enjoyed seeing a few points for Ireland!, Last time I watched a full eurovision was the 'rock and roll kids' year.

I was chatting to someone today and we disagreed on something, I thought the eurovision was judged by a panel of judges from every country in the past (which by the way I believe it should be, at least a panel of judges can be held accountable for voting for their mates).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

10th out of 30ish not bad,

it should be a group, with atleast one shexy woman singing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I think we should withdraw with the hope that every country does the same and kills the Eurovision once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

I think we should withdraw. Let it become the EasternEurovision Song Contest cos really thats what it has become... We have had our sucess with Dana, Johnny Logan, Linda Martin, the guys that sang rocknroll kids, and the others I can't remember the name of the rest of them.

Let the other countries get excited by it, they are new to europe anyway so they are enjoying it. Like since when was Russia a part of Europe!! Good stuff !

I was going to say something else there but can't remember ... hmm ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Naw we need to enter a Death Bog Metal ban from Mayo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

rsta wrote:
    I think we should withdraw. Let it become the EasternEurovision Song Contest cos really thats what it has become... We have had our sucess with Dana, Johnny Logan, Linda Martin, the guys that sang rocknroll kids, and the others I can't remember the name of the rest of them.

Let the other countries get excited by it, they are new to europe anyway so they are enjoying it. Like since when was Russia a part of Europe!! Good stuff !

I was going to say something else there but can't remember ... hmm ah well

I wasn't aware that Finland was in Eastern Europe. And if you think that it is crap because it has been ten years since we won it. just think, Finland waited 45 years before winning it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

gandalf wrote:
    Naw we need to enter a Death Bog Metal ban from Mayo :)

Seconded.

ftw

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Seem as "Yes - with different approach (semi naked chicks / blokes jumping and twirling around)" perhaps the good folks of boards.ie need to organise an act for the next Eurovision then.

Now that would be a combo (semi-naked gyrating women, semi-naked gyrating women and some more semi-naked women, another semi-naked gyrating woman and probably a gogo dancing elephant). ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

I think we finished as best as we could ever hope to, what with the usual baltic-balkin love in all ahead of us. Terry Wogan said France dont care any more. I think we're going to throw some more good acts at it for a few years, see hwo we get on. I'd send JackL there, see how he gets on, or Niel Hannon. I'd send Glen Hansard there as well, but only if Europe somehow really offends us in the next 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Lee Smartie

rsta wrote:
    I read that we gave Lithuania 12 points? What the ...., that song was like a football chant. I'm sure it's easy to figure out how Lithuania got so many points from us....
    don't you think lithuania is too small to have emigrants in most of european countries? i read they didn't get point from 7/38 countries, so can't you agree that was just funny song with funny performance?
    if there are block voting so how the hell ireland had won 7 times as it has only one neighbour country?

If we declare war on Finland, Norway and Sweden, invade them.. have a huge battle.. give them their land back .. maybe in 40 years time we'll be getting 12 points from them.

Otherwise, we shouldn't bother. I don't want to see Ireland lowering themselves to the standards of the other european countries with their trashy glammed up acts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Otherwise, we shouldn't bother. I don't want to see Ireland lowering themselves to the standards of the other european countries with their trashy glammed up acts.

Yeah, let's just keep our trashy boring act and stay down the ladder! We are not even talking music here.

To quote Paul Macartney from many years ago when he was asked if he would write a song for Eurovision he replied "I'm sorry but I only write music"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

dont have a problem with the Eurovision. watched most of it this year and thought it was hillarious. Ireland shouldnt be so reserved

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Ok, my two cents worth :)

Eurovision is a good enough contest. Lordi won because they were different and whatever you think of Eimear Quinn, The voice won because it was a haunting celtic melody that was different and far superior to any other songs that year and because it was a call for peace in Ireland and with the political climate in Ireland and the Baltic at the time it was perfect.

So our approach should be different alright but not necessarily glammed/hammed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

IMO i don't think they should bother! its gotten too political and its ridiculous to watch! withdraw now others might do the same and let the contest die!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Italy doesn't enter it because its ****, but it also might be down to the fact that they don't, they could be sore lossers. ?????

Also While Grease and Finland are both in the east of europe neither where in the eastern block communist states.

Yes and the reason that Britian got No points one year was because they went to war? No it was because it was a **** song, even ****ter then the rest of them.

I wouldn't read in to the Eurovision that much people. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

i thought this years eurovision was the funnyest ever and lordi so deserved to win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

We should definitely NOT try to follow the trend and send semi-naked women dancing to pseudo-ethnic pop songs. We'd be terrible at it anyway.

We should send something Celtic again, like The Voice in 1996. That was the only Celtic-inspired thing we've ever sent to Eurovision and it won.
    Or if we're going to send something up-tempo, at least let it be decent and not trashy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

rsta wrote:
    Like since when was Russia a part of Europe!!
    Exactly what continent do you think Russia is a part of then?

It's Isreal that's the dodgey one...

I wasn't aware that Finland was in Eastern Europe. And if you think that it is crap because it has been ten years since we won it. just think, Finland waited 45 years before winning it.

Finland isn't in Eastern Europe!

Its doesn't bother me that we didnt win it this year at all... and I said in previous post 'fair play to Finland'

This is only a light hearted poll...

Easy now ;)

if there are block voting so how the hell ireland had won 7 times as it has only one neighbour country?

because we didnt need or have block voting back in them eurovision glory days :rolleyes: :p we were just so darn good ! haha

Exactly what continent do you think Russia is a part of then?

It's Isreal that's the dodgey one...

sheesh, im replying left right and centre here :D

Monkeyfudge, only a small part of Russia is part of the European continent, a huge part of it is on the Asian continent. I'm not sure about Israel either!

Just listened to Lordi's song again there... if it weren't for those masks... I don't like the look of them, they are like monsters out of a kids film or something..

rsta wrote:
    because we didnt need or have block voting back in them eurovision glory days :rolleyes: :p we were just so darn good ! haha
    that's for sure :) but if you say "we were", does that mean you admit that irish songs are not that darn good anymore?... however, ireland GOES to the final next year, so i don't see what to argue about :rolleyes:
    more: does anyone of you believed Brian would make it to 1st place? i guess not

that's for sure :) but if you say "we were", does that mean you admit that irish songs are not that darn good anymore?... however, ireland GOES to the final next year, so i don't see what to argue about :rolleyes:
    more: does anyone of you believed Brian would make it to 1st place? i guess not

I don't the Eurovision is as good a show as it was years ago full stop!

Maybe its just a coincidence that when we stopped winning the Eurovision took a turn for the worse... :p

(and when i say worse i am not trying to offend anyone who is sensitive about the Eurovision!)

it might have become worse in some kind of sence:rolleyes: but in the other hand, changes are good for eurovision, the contest can not be the same for ages as not the same music is popular in europe as it was 50 years ago :rolleyes:

Advertisement