Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovering deleted partition

Options
  • 21-05-2006 4:20pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

Was doing a reinstall of XP and went to delete 2 partitions on the 1 hard drive.

Deleted the windows install partition as I wanted but I then went but then went and accidentally deleted thw wrong partition on another drive. Was near 120GB of stuff on that drive was wondering if there was a way to recover it. I have not repartioned the drive yet. Anyone know if there is a way of recovering it?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Oh thats horrible I've done it before its a killer. it was a long time ago but I do remerber there was quite a few programs on download.com that let you recover deleted files etc - as long as they haev not been written over. Best thing to do is get the hard drive in another PC as a slave and work on it form there. I remeber a few programs that let you view the files but to recover more than just a few MB you had to pay - but I'm sure you would have no problem paying about e30 for 120gb worth of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

i've used 2 apps succesfuly to recovered deleted data Ontrack Easy Recovery & Runtime Get Data Back for NTFS. both have recovered various levels of data. Ontrack has a trial afaik. give that a try first as its faster and simpler to use.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If all else fails.
    gpart on a linux boot disk will find the partition then you need to create it again with a linux utility fdisk/sfdisk

there are other utils out there.

DO NOT USE MICROSOFT FDISK !
    as it may overwrite parts of the disk when checking the partition / disk intergrity

Dos 5 had a mirror command that would allow you to backup the partition table for snafu's like that. But it was removed, such is progress.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Please don't open old treads :)

Recuva doesn't recover partitions.

Installing apps on the drive you want to recover may overwrite those files. Best to do it offline.

Advertisement