Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fathers for Justice UK Lotto protest

Options
  • 20-05-2006 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭

Just when we thought the world was safe... Fathers 4 Justice are back, but this time it ain't funny.

I'm all for climbing onto Buckingham Palace, but there's something about endangering 200 people that rubs me up the wrong way.

There's a short clip on the BBC site, anybody know of any videos on the net??

BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5001386.stm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭fletch

And did you hear the interview between Richard and the representative from the Fathers For Justice on Sky News? Apparently the guys had flares, but the representative was trying to make out that it was a peaceful protest and nobody could have been injured. In this day and age a flare could have easily been mistaken for a bomb/gun. And I personally would not like to get a flare to the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

fletch wrote:
    And did you hear the interview between Eamonn and the representative from the Fathers For Justice on Sky News? Apparently the guys had flares, but the representative was trying to make out that it was a peaceful protest and nobody could have been injured. In this day and age a flare could have easily been mistaken for a bomb/gun. And I personally would not like to get a flare to the face.

The one at 9pm? I saw that - Fair fecks to Eamonn, it was good of him to do the interview and he conducted it well. The point about the studio not being small is ludicrous, it looks small enough on the TV so it's probably smaller in reality. Even if it was a massive room, setting off flares indoors is still stupid and irresponsible.

I liked Eamonn's reply when the F4J guy told him to stop interrupting and "putting him down", to which Eamonn replied "I think you've put me down enough this evening already in fairness". There was a certain novelty factor about the Palace protest, this one was just wrong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Emanon was good on the news.

I though Fathers4Justice fell apart after the plot to kidnap Blair's little kid?

Things could easily have got out of hand there. They were trying to interfere with the machines as well. If they had of let off the flares it could've cause a massive panic which in a small confined space could've been costly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭slovessmg

I have to say having seen some of the footage on Sky News and BBC News, I think Sarah (the female presenter with the red-hair) did incredibly given the situation, better than Eamonn.
    She was due to start reading the autocue when some men burst out of the audience with flares, she paused for a moment before getting on with it, trying to speak over the chants. When she realised she couldn't she grabbed Eamonn, who looked terrified, then smiled and looked at the camera and let Alan commentate. Then when the woman walked in front of them towards the camera, Sarah grabbed her, led her off the stage and told her to "Go on, Get-off!".
    She was calm and collected throughout, helping viewers and audience members remain calm, whilst Eamonn appeared to be s***ting himself.

As a protest, I think it was disgraceful and immature, as is becomming the pattern with this group. They looked as if they intended to cause criminal damage to the machines and I hope they're delt with accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Here's a better vid a complete news report. I like the way Holmes shuffles behind the female presenter.

I heard the spokesman for Fathers For Justice on BBC radio this morning, it seems the lottery draw was chosen cos 'lifes like a box of chocolates, you' - er I mean he said it was to represent the lottery of access.

Or some such guff.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i saw this in the pub and didnt have a clue what was going on

now i know

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

On that news report that was linked, they were talking to the commentator. His caption read "Alan Dedicoat. Voice of the balls":D

Surely they could have come up witht a better caption than that?!

But as for Fathers for Justice, what a ridiculous group.
    "How can we prove that we're responsible people that should be allowed access to our kids? I know, let's storm the National Lottery and try to let off some flares. That'll prove we're good parents."

WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

i used to feel sorry for the organisation, and i guess i still do, but they don't seem to be thinking when they come up with their plans, they've managed to go full circle in public opinion, they are actually disliked now, whoevers in charge needs to be booted out, he's destroyed their credability

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

It's wierd, because everyone going in to the studio goes through an airport type security check.

JOhn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

OK, Batman at the palace was funnier! This was just stupid. Nachos was spot on with his comment.

I know these people are desparate to see their children and that most do deserve access but idiots like this are spoiling it for everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

Advertisement