Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass Degree

Options
  • 20-05-2006 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

I've finished my final exams, and while the results won't be available for a few weeks, I think I'll only get a "Pass" or "Third Class Honours" degree. The real-life implications of this is a masters is out of the question (they need a 2.1 as a minimum) and even a hdip is doubtful, as they are competitive, well the ones I want anyhow.

But my real concern is what value do employes place on a degree level?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

From my experience I would'nt worry about it. I've never been asked in 10 years what level of Degree I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,803 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Similar concern here! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I've just had a look at job advertisements. Many allow you to submit your own CV, which you can phrase nicely to avoid levels, but most of the larger employers have application forms, that ask for degree levels in actual tables, so there can be no avoidance there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

I've a 2.1 but i didn't get into the masters of my choice last year. But I still got a job out of it. i think that in some colleges that you can do a type of matric exam to get te aquired standard before applying for the Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

vector wrote:
    Unfortunately, in terms of the graduate programs with the big multinational employers, you'll need at least a 2:1 (although some look at 2:2s) to score an interview.

But if you supplement the degree on your CV with details of lots of interesting project work you did, im sure you'll find success with the smaller employers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

vector wrote:

Depends on the job. If you're going for the kind of job where you don't necessarily need a degree, you're obviously better off than the person who doesn't have one at all, but if you're going for something where you do need a degree and there's a whole bunch of people out there with the same degree and a higher mark... obviously they have an advantage. But it's not the only thing that employers are going to look at, and once you've got a few years of work experience under your belt, it'll become less and less of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

You can always do a qualifying year to do an MSc.
    I know at least one person in my group did that, did the masters and went on to get his Ph.D.
    In fact, we worked out one day that at least half of us in the group doing Ph.Ds repeated at least one exam, and plenty repeated a year or two.

In my opinion, the academic requirement is only used to weed out those with no experience, and as soon as people have experience it counts for much more than the academic qualifications.

Advertisement