Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I tell boss I'm suffering from depression?

Options
  • 20-05-2006 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Basically, I've always been prone to bouts of mild depression which I am able to live with but every now and then they descend into spells of severe depression. Things came to a head this week after a downward spiral the last few months and I went to my doctor for advice and help. Now I have to deal with work as I have fallen further and further behind with my work and have been covering it up as best I can but I can't cover it up anymore and have to tell my boss. So I am wondering should I keep the reason for this (my depression) to myself with the likelihood I could be fired or try to explain to my boss and hope I get a second chance to make amends?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is a medical condition you are currently under the supervision of a dr for.
    Unfortunatly it is not like arriving in with a broken leg to work and everyone can see it and makes allowances for it.
    Get your Dr to write you a letter to your boss, get two copies if needed and send on into your hr department.
    Don't let it hang over your head in work and make things worse and stress you out further.
    No one is irrresplacible but cover yourself with the dr note and time of work if you need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

Suffering from depression is quite a personal matter, to be honest. I wouldn't tell my boss unless I absolutely had to.

You mentioned you've been to your doctor for help and advice, if he / she has diagnosed you with suffering from depression you will be referred to a mental health professional. Do help him / her to help you, and don't be afraid to talk. Understandably, speaking to a 'stranger' about your problems can seem a little uncomfortable, but they are trained to listen and help you.
    Another benefit of doing so is they are unbiased and confidential.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭meow

I would actually say something, especially if theres a ca\hance of you being fired by staying quite.

You're boss cannot legally fire you for having depression. You could get a drs opinion on this but perhaps a break would be good for you, just to try to have some rest without stress.
    If visable you could even just work part time hours or every other day.
    My GP wrote me a note to work just three days a week when I was suffering badly from it.

Basically, you won't know anything about possibilities unless you say something.

Is you boss appraochable?
    You could speak to him/her first and ask about various alternative work hours, then get your GP to write a note.

Whatever you do, I hope you're getting help, there's no shame in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

yes I think you should.

get a letter and make it official just as bakc up fo yourself,

but if its affecting your work you should.

Advertisement