Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Countdown Question

Options
  • 20-05-2006 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

ok i noticed this last night and it got me wondering.

when the timer is restarted all the numbers and stuff spin around on the clock. however i think the first part (the hundreds of minutes) there is more than just the number 1 there. there is a few digits at least i think... Also now Locke seen the graphics on them in s2e14 would he not try and well open the timer and see WTff is going on with them. seein as the alarm will still sound and even not someone is bound to have a watch!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

there are more numbers because thats just how it was made ie it would have been made with the same parts and its would have been easier to use the same reels instead of specially making one with just the number 1 on it..

.. also, the fact that its 108 minutes doesn't mean anything its just a number.. this is not a spoiler.. its logic.. the beeping starts at 4 minutes and from this time they can input the code... the timer then resets.. if it were time specific, they would have to wait unutil the timer reached zero before hitting execute..

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

loon wrote:
    .. also, the fact that its 108 minutes doesn't mean anything its just a number...

Hmm, 4 + 8 + 15 + 16 + 23 + 42 = 108.... That's not a coincidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 feather

Werw the graphics that came up hierogliphs? they looked egyptian to me. I don't suppose anyone knows what they mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭rip2roar

Yes, they mean "Cause To Die" but the last word after that cannot be read because Locke entered the numbers before they all came up

you're translation is slightly off... five hieroglyphs for starters

1. her z/th
    2. (not shown) ????
    3. fire/wood l/r
    4. father za
    5. die/enemy da

again... problem is that glyphs read right to left and most people have tried to translate these left to right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

well something ive always wondered about the countdown in relation to
    the theory that 108 minutes is the time it takes a certain satelitte to orbit the earth
    well if its entered at the very start of the blipping 4 minutes of the countdown then wont this create a HUGE inaccuracy after a few times entering the code?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yes, thats why it has nothing to do with satelites...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I know everyone is on about the glyphs but did noone notice the sound of a hugh machine kicking into gear at zero point

one problem with sounds... ears can be deceiving.. just think of desert sand dunes.. they make some freaky noises..

loon wrote:
    just think of desert sand dunes.. they make some freaky noises..

please, oh please can someone stop this fool.. i cannot take it any more.. my entire season two finale has been ruined... desert sand dunes.. this has to be the biggest spoiler yet!!!!!!!!

(lol... sorry but i couldn't help myself)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MIGWAR-DWP

loon wrote:
    please, oh please can someone stop this fool.. i cannot take it any more.. my entire season two finale has been ruined... desert sand dunes.. this has to be the biggest spoiler yet!!!!!!!!

(lol... sorry but i couldn't help myself)

Dammit. I was just about to do that...

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MeTV

We can't get an exact translation of the glyphs as the second reel never settled into place. However, if we substitute in a spiral glyph in the second spot, it will translate into the causative of the verb "to die", i.e. a command to die. Note that the translation "cause to die" is incorrect - the first symbol does not translate to a word but sets the case of what follows it, in this case the causative.

i suggest you learn about glyphs instead of copying what people have written on other threads... for those in the know you look extremely stupid... please elaborate on a spiral glyph.. and what exactly will turn into the causative of the verb to die... the glyph itself or the phonetic sentence structure? (trick question as the answer is neither..)

.. depending on how you wish to translate these glyphs, you can end up with different meanings.. despite my previous translations of common meanings and phonetics... the vulture, depending on context can also mean death/die, as can the fire drill ie to die by fire/to burn, but as a generic generalisation.. it means die.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MeTV

And I suggest you drop the attitude.

My painstaking research into this took me to an extract from "A Concise Dictionary of Middle Egyptian" which provided the exact sequence of glyphs (substituting in a spiral shape for the one we were missing) as they appeared on the counter with the translation provided being the causative of the verb "to die". So excuse me for relying on the word of a published author when you, in your infinite wisdom, clearly know more than he does! :rolleyes:

yes i do.. and for beginners i suggest something simple like bridget mcdermot..

Advertisement