Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

marked unfairly by tutor

Options
  • 20-05-2006 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i saw results for my years work at college and im really pissed off. i got marked 77% when 80% is a distinction. ive reason to believe that the teacher has a grudge against me. im always late into his class, i cant help this and ive explained and apologised, im late, but i stay back pretty much every day, ive spent more hours in the course over the year in college than another lad whos been in from 9-4 every day, the proper hours. pretty much everyone in the class was delayed with handing things up and so was i.

i was told yesterday was the last day and the work had to be in and i got his subject in. i was working in the class (i do art and craft) and he came up to the guy whos been in from 9-4 every day and i was working behind him and he told the guy very quitely that he was to do more work over the weekend for the written work, when the tutor left i asked him is there anything missing from my written work that i can do over the weekend? he said no its done and dusted. he went and i saw the mark sheet on his desk and had a nose, i see that im marked down 0 for something i left out, there was a total of 4% for this and it would be easy to do properly and it would be even easier to mark, it would take about 20 seconds to look at and mark, not even!

i was also talking to another guy who was told that he could hand stuff up for monday and then i saw another guys mark in the class, he got 76%, i know for a fact that my work is much (more than 1%) better than his. i was then also given 20% out of a possible 30% for my practical work that wasnt even finished! and he hasnt marked anyone else on their finished piece who isn't finished yet!! he said before he could mark the finished piece at any time, it would only take a second!

there is also another subject he teaches me that i just havent had the time to do because of outside of college commitments, again, i explained all this etc. then i was talking to the main man of the college and told him this too, he told me the external examiners wont be coming till next week and id have time to do it, but my tutor said yesterday no, that's that.

my project has two parts to it, it could be thought of as finished now, he knows it isnt, but it would be accepted, but i want to do something else to it. im going to do this over the weekend and im also going to do the bit he marked me 0 for. if i have time, im going to do the work for the other subject too.

If he doesn't accept any of this and doesn't change my marks, when he is accepting and continuing to mark other peoples work, what can I do?

If somebody could please start a thread in the "Legal" forum not seeking advice, but to discuss this, It would be great so i could have a look and see whats been said.

cheers!

Comments

Why dont you just hand in the stuff that you know you forgot at the same time as the other guys that were actually told that they could do it.

Make a note of this and see if the other guys get a mark for theirs and if you dont then you have a case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Uhmm..ok this guy is your tutor so is there not somebody above him with a bit more authority over your course?

If there is then go to him and explain the situation. If nothing happens from there and you still feel hard done by then speak again to the "main man of the college."

Maybe the other guy who is allowed to do the work over the weekend has a genuine and perhaps serious reason as to why this wasn't done. In most colleges a deadline is a deadline unless there are serious circumstances to be taken into consideration. Then a bit of lee-way is given.

Also, if your outside commitments are impinging on your ability to do your college work then perhaps a reassesment of priorities is in order.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You could write a note to the head of your department (as I had to do when I was in UCD) requesting that a second opinion be sought on any work handed up in his class (in my case the lecturer had crashed into me in the car park and while she accepted responsibility on the scene, subsequently changed her mind when I presented her with 6 quotations for the damage and the whole mess ended up in court).

You will find that faculty staff are most helpful- it is not in their interest that any accusation of bias (either positive or negative) be allowed to fester.

Advertisement