Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop dvd-dual drive needed

Options
  • 20-05-2006 5:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have an Acer TM 4501WLMi, but the dvd+-RW drive i got with it is a load of bolls. Its some QSI heap of junk. Totally unreliable for burning, god only knows how many coasters its produced in the last year. And dvd playback isnt much better, regularly jumpy.
    So, im finally getting rid of it now, and i need some suggestions on a replacement.

Not too fussed on speeds etc, whatevers the norm i suppose, but its gotta be uber reliable.
    I want to watch my dvds without jumpiness, and cut out the coasters when burning.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 steffkelly

Hi cowboy,

in regards to burning coasters, i had problems like this for ages, but strangely it was only when burning cds. Dvds and data cds were fine. somebody suggested to me that it could be the burning speed, so i slowed down the burning speed and it burned fine.

If its skipping while playing dvds it may be a lack of ram. have you got any thing else running while you are playing the dvds? what are your specs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭The Cowboy

Nah, dvd playback skips regardless of whether other tasks are running.
    I have 512MB RAM, so thats enough.

It makes coasters out of everything and anything, any speed media.
    I tried burning at the lowest speed and still no joy.
    I know the drive itself is junk, iv researched it, so i just need some alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

get an nec from komplett i replaced the qsi in mine with a nec dvd+rw 6650a from komplett , no problems since , i also use verbatim discs (8x r+) and never have a coaster , the newer model is this one
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=318816

Advertisement