Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakup advice

Options
  • 20-05-2006 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Okay so recently (couple months ago) me and my GF of 2 years broke up.

The problem I have is that even though I ended the relationship I cant get her out of my head. I desperately want to move on and meet other women but im finding it very hard, things keep reminding me of good times we had and its hard to go from having someone that cares about me to being on my own again.

I've been dumped before and that I can deal with- feel bad for a while and move on, but when I ended it and still cant move on I dont know what to do.

Has anyone experienced something like this or has any1 any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Personally speaking, myself and a girl went out for 3 years and ultimately broke up.

Feelings linger for a long time and my only advice would be that you can't just decide you want to find someone else. I think the only way of getting over them is to develop genuine feelings for someone else...

It happened for me eventually when I just sat back and let it happen and it will happen for you, just don't turn it into a time-pressured thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Theres nothing wrong with remembering the good times and it will take you a bit to get over that. You were with her 2 years, of course you will be still thinking of her. As the previous posted said, dont try and control things and let it happen because it will. You are due some good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Spliffany692000

Hey

Sounds to me like you still love her!! I cant say...get over her but your gonna have to try...your head will be wrecked otherwise...go out and meet new people!! Feel sorry for you...its easy!! I KNOW!! Three yrs later and Im still in the same boat as you!! xx Good luck x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kierannn

Yes, I’ve been there. A year ago I broke up with my girlfriend of 2 years. I thought it wasn’t working anymore because we had a lot of fights over nothing. After another stupid fight I had enough.
    Anyway, I thought it would be great to be single again but in the end I couldn’t get her out of my head. Kept thinking about the good times we had and sorta realized that the fights had just overshadowed the rest. To make things short, we got back together and it is brilliant now. Learned from the mistakes we made.

But I don’t know the reasons why you broke up with her. Are you still in contact with her? Maybe if you would see her again, you will know how you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I thought the same as you kierannn, thought it would be great to be single again but only after a few months and i've had enough of single life.

I'm in two minds atm. I dont know whether i should go tell her how i feel or just suck it up and get on with my life. and ye i'm still in contact with her.

p.s. thanks for the replies :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kierannn

Why did you break up with her? If she cheated or anything like that (or if you did) then no, definitely don’t tell her how you feel.

On the other hand, if you broke up because of something that can get better (like too much fighting) then go for it! You don’t want to keep wondering what if… She might want to give it a try again or maybe not. Just be prepared for both outcomes. You probably slightly know how she now feels about you if you are still in contact with her. How old are you guys? In my experience, you know better what you want as you get older.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I never told my ex I wanted her back.

That was definitely not one of my wisest decisions :(

Advertisement