Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toshiba laptop overheating?

Options
  • 19-05-2006 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

Anyone experience a Toshiba laptop with a 3 plus gig chip overheading when playing games or watching DVDs? (Not overclocking) Less than one year old and still on warranty. Heatsink?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 steffkelly

Hi pantar_dubh,

Are you sure its overheating? check out http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php,
    this will let you know how hot your cpu is running. If it is a heat problem, id send it back if its still under warranty and save yourself a lot of messin around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭pantar_dubh

It's running clean. No malware. But gets very warm then shuts down. Have extended the shut down time with a cool pad. But it eventually goes. Thanks for the tip.

No problem:D

what temperature does it run at on speedfan if you are playing cds/dvd etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭pantar_dubh

Will have to get back to you on temperature. It is dysfunctional at present and at my flat. Now in a hotspot. Using a different laptop now. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Does the coolpad you are using have fans or is it more like a heatsink? I was using a heatsink (read: large book) but it eventually kept cutting out.

Are any of the fans on the laptop broken?

My 3GHz laptop constantly overheated until I got a cooling pad with two fans, now the hard drive temp goes up to about 44C before dropping to 41 and staying there.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

hi i have seen a lot of the older toshiba satellite laptops do this overheat and shut down. After doing some research into it I found out that some of the toshiba laptops were badly designed therefore overheating and shuting down. what you can do to see if you have the same problem is turn on your laptop and see how long you get out of it before it shuts down (play a game or something like that) then after it shuts down put something under the laptop ( i used two old hard drives one at each side) Make sure you dont cover the fans. So the laptop is about an inch or 2 off your desk. Play the same game again and see how long you get before it shuts down?? I am nearly sure i read it somewhere that toshiba even admitted this after a load of people complained. Give it a go and let us know how you got on!!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Do a google search for the Toshiba 5005 loads of problems with this model - so many that there is actually a Yahoo group solely related to it. A friend of mine has one and they are a bit of a disaster!http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=toshiba+5005+problems&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I had an overheating compaq a couple of years ago, I researched it, and here's what i saw suggested.

The air vents had become blocked with dust and fluff. Therefore the fan wasn't working at full efficiency. The way to fix this is by blowing compressed air through.

I didn't actually do this myself, it wasn't that big an issue.

You should research this yourself before doing anything. At your own risk!

antoin.

Advertisement