Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scientology now has a rival

Options
  • 19-05-2006 7:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭

For your further enlightenment of things strange, Scientology now has a down to earth rival.

Sex slave cult uncovered in Darlington?By Auslan Cramb?(Filed: 19/05/2006)
    Curtains were twitching in a quiet suburban street yesterday after police uncovered a sect whose followers base their lives on science fiction novels advocating the sexual enslavement of women.
    Members of the group were interviewed in Darlington after a report that a Canadian woman was being held there against her will. They helped the 29-year-old return home after she told a friend that she wanted to leave but had burnt her passport after joining the sect.
    However, a police spokesman said no criminal activity was discovered and all those involved were "consenting adults".
    They also investigated claims from a father in Essex who was concerned that his 18-year-old son was being trained to be "a master of his own sex slaves".
    Officers spoke to the teenager and said they were satisfied that he was living voluntarily at the property, a pebble-dashed terrace house.
    The so-called Kaotian sect is a splinter group of the Goreans, who have about 25,000 followers in Britain. They base their lives on a series of novels written by John Norman, the pen name of the elderly American university professor, John Frederick Lange.
    The books describe life on the planet of Gor, where society is divided into castes and women are kept as slaves.
    The popularity of the books spread on the internet, where there are sites, chatrooms and role-playing games dedicated to the fictional world.
    Lee Thompson, 31, who lives at the house in Darlington and describes himself as a master who trains slaves, said women members cooked and cleaned as part of their duties, but there was also "an element of sexual domination".
    In an interview with the Northern Echo, Mr Thompson, who was banned from a butcher's shop in the town for turning up with a young woman on a leash, said: "I have been called sick but I don't think what I do is bad."
    He said about 350 followers met regularly in pubs and clubs around the North East, from Berwick-upon-Tweed to York. A follower for 15 years, Mr Thompson said he had been a master to about eight women.
    "It works on the system that some women have a desire to serve," he said.
    "Most people think it is a sexual thing, but it is about every action that they make, they do it for their master.
    "Saying that, the girls will do everything they are told when it comes to sex, but it is all voluntary and all safe. I use internet chatrooms to meet people. The girls are quite willing.
    "Lots of girls want to come and find out about it. They think it's exciting, but it's hard work for everyone. Girls leave when they've had enough."
    Mr Thompson said he read the novel Tarnsman of Gor when he was 13. By the age of 16 he decided to pursue the lifestyle described.
    He met Goreans - whom he described as rougher than Kaotians - at a nightclub. He became an "apprentice" at 16 and a "master" at 21.
    One neighbour said on learning that she was living next to a sex slavery sect: "This is a Christian country and you don't really need that sort of thing here. This country's going down the pan."
    A shopkeeper added: "I saw them in the town centre with the man leading her by the chain, I couldn't believe it."
    A spokesman for Durham Police said: "An investigation by our officers did not disclose any criminal offences."

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

lol :D
    I've always liked the Klingon women is Star Trek.
    Who wants to be part of my Klingon Empire?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

I've heard of the Goreans before, but Kaotian is a new one on me. As far as I know Goreans are not a sect, but a particular sub group of people who enjoy D/s stuff.

From the story, the reporter doesn't sound to have done much in the way of research on his topic. I'm sure 10 minutes with Google would give him a fairly decent idea of what they actually are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Beruthiel wrote:
    Klingon chicks have never really raised my shields.
    But I suppose if there's swords and roleplay involved I could make an exception... ;)

Beruthiel wrote:

Many years ago I got sent a link for .. well, lets just call it a site with extensive photoshopping and a fine appreciation of the female klingon form and leave it at that.

I don't remember where it was now, but I'm sure if you look hard enough (and its still a going concern) you'll find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

This doesn't really sound like a religion, more like a S&M workshop or something.

I can totally get why sci-fi nerds would be mad on for this (8 women as sex slaves, thats more than a sci-fi nerd gets in a life time :eek:) but I would love to know what the women who allow themselves to do this are thinking??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Beruthiel wrote:

How many slaves are you offering new recruits?:D

Wicknight wrote:
    but I would love to know what the women who allow themselves to do this are thinking??

During my early 20s I was a big fan of the Gor series. I had also joined a number of Gor fan clubs, the largest being in Amsterdam. Much to my amazement my GF at that time became an even bigger fan and kept stealing my books before I had finished them. I know why she liked them, but modesty forbids I go into it here Suffice to say, they (the books) were a great incentive:D

<are Klingons Atheist or Agnostic>

Asiaprod wrote:
    How many slaves are you offering new recruits?

How many can you take? That is how many you get .. and you get them yourself.
    Asiaprod wrote:
    I know why she liked them, but modesty forbids I go into it here Suffice to say, they (the books) were a great incentive

<Monty Python>Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Saaaaaaaay nooooooooo mooooooooooooore. </Monty Python>
    Asiaprod wrote:
    are Klingons Atheist or Agnostic

I'd have to go with Atheist. According to Klingon lore, the ancient Klingons rose up and killed their gods centuries ago, considering them more trouble than they were worth.

*drains a mug of bloodwine and wanders off*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

hmm.. goreans, kaotians? Never heard of 'em. "This country's going down the pan." Perhaps, but not half as fast as Finland:

http://www.eurovision.tv/english/finland.htm

I trust everybody'll be SMS'ing douze points a Finlande tomorrow evening?

I'd vote for them for sheer entertainment value. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cattitude

Beruthiel wrote:

ohhhhhh I'd love to be a Klingon woman. Now there's a fantasy I can get into :).
    Does anyone remember the name of those butt-ugly, scrawny aliens on "Star Trek the Next Generation" who kept their females as naked slaves? They weren't Kaotians by any chance? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You mean the Ferengi?

Anyway, just looks like a bit of BDSM being called a "religion"...
    be more fun with male subs though too o.O :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Yep, Goreans are a subgroup of an intersection between the BDSM community and sci-fi fan community who have been around for some time, strong emphasis on D/s and role-play, S&M primarily only where it fits into the role-play.

Often seen as a bit weird by the BDSMers for all the sci-fi stuff but BDSMers generally have a tolerant "well, whatever you're into" attitude.

Often seen as a bit weird by the sci-fi fans for all the BDSM stuff, but sci-fi fans generally have a tolerant "well, whatever you're into" attitude.

Personally, I like sci-fi and BSDM, but don't really get mixing the two of them up. Besides, John Norman is a worse writer than Dan Brown.

If there's a "cult" sub-sub-group, I'd give odds of a guinea to a shilling it isn't earnestly believed in, but part of the roleplay.

The matter with the woman having her passport burnt is clearly worrying, but the lack of ciminal charges means something doesn't add up (a case of there being insufficient proof?, or a case of sensational bull****ting?).
    bluewolf wrote:
    be more fun with male subs though too o.O :D
    Male subs are part of Gorrean play, but since part of the Gorrean thing is that there is a "natural order" or Free men over free women over male slaves over female slaves, it's not going to be your thing if you're a male submissive or a female domme. Could still be fun for switches though I suppose.

oh right they were the Ferengi. At least all the Klingons I remember from the shows had nice bods from the neck down, I think their hygiene was suspect though :p.
    I just wanted to add that the Gor books themselves had an interesting take on religion. The planet Gor was controlled by technologically advanced aliens that looked like big grasshoppers. They never showed themselves but would send anyone breaking their rules up in flames (they didn't allow advanced technology or weapons as a way of keeping humans from exterminating themselves, and as a Darwin type thing where crude weapons meant survival of the fittest, in their thinking). People worshiped them as Gods and called them Priest-Kings (which the aliens took as proof as how unsophisticated and in need of guidance humans are). The leaders of the Priest-King religion grew fat and wealthy of course, though they knew no more about Priest-Kings than anyone else, and certainly held no sway. Having people worship big bug aliens implied that people will believe anything. I have to admit Norman seemed to have gotten that right. People turning his pulp fiction into a religion seems to prove the point. What I'm skeptical about though is Norman's repeated assertions that women just love to be men's brutally treated slaves. Most of the women he described as falling in love with their brutal captors seemed to be suffering text book examples of the Stockholm Syndrome.
    As to why women participate, that's the real mystery isn't it? My speculation is that most have serious self-esteem issues. And let's not forget being plain old masochist.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Klingon chicks have never really raised my shields.
    I'll be usig that one! :P
    But I suppose if there's swords and roleplay involved I could make an exception... ;)
    How could there be roleplay without swords and totherway round. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Asiaprod wrote:
    "This is a Christian country"

And it's clear how liberating THAT religion has been for women.

jtsuited wrote:
    Originally Posted by Asiaprod This is a Christian country
    And it's clear how liberating THAT religion has been for women.

Eh! not my quote. I'm a Gor fan:) and I own a sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

sorry obviously i wasn't implying you said that. i've put in the quotation marks now!

Weren't "Jedi Knights" listed as a religion on some population survey recently? That's probably a better analogy to Goreans than Scientologist are, I'd think. Goreans (liking the idea of slavery), and Jedi ( fighting the evil empire that is enslaving people) must be diametrically opposed in their thinking. Maybe someday they'll fight it out :D . There's a question:
    Who'd win with Gorean warrior vs. Jedi Knight? :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Cattitude wrote:
    Who'd win with Gorean warrior vs. Jedi Knight? :)
    I'd put my lunch money on the dude with the lightsaber, rather than the dude with the whip in the PVC underpants. ;)

• Advertisement

I'd put my lunch money on the dude with the lightsaber, rather than the dude with the whip in the PVC underpants. ;)
    I would hold on to your lunch money if I were you. You have not taken into account the Kurii Beam Projector. A handheld device that fires a highly concussive heat blast, which strikes its target fiercely, often leaving a 3/4" wide hole at the point of impact, and an exit wound of upwards of ten inches across:)

hee hee good point, but I'd bet my own junk food money on the Goreans. It has to attract a, shall we say "less pleasant" bunch who are more likely to actually be armed. It seems to attrack a lot of military types and cops. Scarypoo, but not real surprising.
    Speaking of unpleasant fellows, John Robinson (called The First Internet Serial Killer) proclaimed himself Gorean and one of the women he killed was well known in Gor circles. Though I don't suppose it's hard to kill a woman who let's you tie her up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Cattitude wrote:
    Most of the women he described as falling in love with their brutal captors seemed to be suffering text book examples of the Stockholm Syndrome.
    I think that's giving undue credit to Norman. I'd be very impressed if he could write a convincing depiction of Stockholm Syndrome, rather than some of the cheesiest descriptions of slave mentality ever written by a Dom. Still, a game of girlcatch would be fun I suppose (if one could add a bumper box of condoms into the mix, it's essentially a BDSM version of a daisyfυck as far as picking up infections goes).
    Cattitude wrote:
    As to why women participate, that's the real mystery isn't it? My speculation is that most have serious self-esteem issues. And let's not forget being plain old masochist.
    Bottoms are hardly rare in this world (can just seem like it sometimes if your a single top).

Talliesin wrote:
    I think that's giving undue credit to Norman. I'd be very impressed if he could write a convincing depiction of Stockholm Syndrome.
    I didn't mean Norman depicted the Stockholm Syndrome on purpose, more like he did so unwittingly. Being terrorized and afraid for your life and then coming in actuality to want what your captor wants, and even falling in love with them , "is" the Stockholm Syndrome. Norman's conclusions were that it happened like that cause woman like to be treated that way, where as psychologist think it a form of self-defense and self-preservation.
    True enough that there are lots of bottums (the submissive partner), but the question was asked why they do it. Beats me, tee hee.

Advertisement