Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can YOU hate?

Options
  • 18-05-2006 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭

Sorry if wrong forum.

Recently, a friend of mine heard me use the word "hate" and he asked me afterwards to think hard about the word, and what it implies.

When I thought about it, i could only think of one person that i actually think i hate. This included world leaders, past and present, celebs, people i know, colleagues, everything.

When you think deeply of the meaning of the word hate, look up its synonyms, and think of THEIR meaning. Do you actually HATE many people? Do you think it is a normal emotion to hate, in the most intense interpretation of the word? Is hate a phrase you would use in day to day context?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

i never use the word hate,the word is over used by people that never stop to think about what they are saying so they dont mean it when they are talking about other people

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yup, I think I hate one person. He's responsible for making me understand how someone is capable of murder, as I spent many an hour dreaming up horrible fates for him... And no, he's not an ex lover, he was my old landlord, and I've never experienced treatment like I got from him in my life...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Hate is a very intense emotion, as such I find it quickly fades, I have hated (to have such utter contempt that I wished them physical harm) people in the past but only for short periods of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I would use 'hate' day to day about things (eg: "I hate exams", "I hate that tv show" et cetera) but what I really mean is dislike. But actual hatred is fairly rare for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Meh, I'd use the word hate from time to time. But if there was something I had a serious burning dislike of, loath would be the word I'd use. Just feels so much more powerfull a word than hate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I really don't see the point in it.
    It is a waste of time and engry, if someone gets me that pissed of I will spend
    the engery letting them know exactly why and then move on.
    They will ether amend thier ways or there will be a discussion or else I will just not have them in my life or minimise contact with them.
    I'd say having my pity is worse then my hate, or having me refusing to have anything to do with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

A couple of people but like Thaedydal said, I'd just cut them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I say I hate something or someone but in fact seldom do things get to me to the point that I feel that strongly about it....if I do get very angry, I do hate - but it only lasts as long as the anger....it then disolves into understanding, pity, impatience, etc, etc...:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Good question. I agree with azezil when he says it's short-lived. I don't hate anyone on a permanent basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I dunno do I actually hate anyone, but there are many people whose actions I hate. Like Karl, I'd use loath or detest if I mean hate as the force of the word has been diluted through over-use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

I use the word often but i also can say that there is quite a few people in this world that i genuinely hate,its a very powerful word that is strewn about very lightly but i can think of about 10 people who i actually hate,some of them are family!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Nah, theres a lot of people I feel contempt for, but it takes effort to hate someone. Of the people I hold in contempt, theres none I hold in high enough regard to expend the effort to hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Hate is gratuitously over-used as are other words such as starving (I'm starving, I haven't eaten since noon)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Hate is gratuitously over-used as are other words such as starving (I'm starving, I haven't eaten since noon)

Yes let's excoriate the use of hyperbole in language. Sheesh. To the OP, there is nothing wrong with using the word hate. You won't go to hell. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

homah_7ft wrote:
    Yes let's excoriate the use of hyperbole in language. Sheesh. To the OP, there is nothing wrong with using the word hate. You won't go to hell. :)
    I hate to say it, but I'm inclined to agree with this fella!

:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I say hate a lot. I hate this chair etc.
    However, actual hate. Yes, I am capable of it. It is rare. If I hate somebody, it is because of who and what they are, it will not change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I do use hate regularly. But no, I dont hate anyone or anything. I sometimes wish I could bring myself to hate someone. But intense dislike or fear is as far as it gets. I wouldn't describe it as hate, because i could never bring myself to think of ways of physically hurting someone. Even someone who has caused me great physical and emotional pain.. But really i think i may just be too lazy and selfish to waste such a powerful emotion on anyone! Whats the point at the end of the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

I don't hate anyone. There are probably people I wouldn't give the time of day to, but simply because I do not like them. OP asked if its a normal emotion. It is an emotion, but my take on things is that it is not a healthy one.

How can it be? you would be putting thought and energy into hating someone. I think one should deal with the issues that cause the feelings of hatrid towards a person. If you hate someone, that means that he / she bothers you, and you probably swear the opposite. Dealing with the issues behind hatred doesn't mean you have to like them, you just learn to ignore them and get on with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

homah_7ft wrote:

Well looks like you missed it but he\she was making a very good point. There's nothing wrong with it but it is the same thing when you say "starving" for hunger as "hate" for dislike.

I use hate all the time. But theres only one person I genuinely hate & if I ran into her I'd just hope she didn't recognise me & continue walking. It's actually difficult to hate people who have no effect on your life. So I actually don't hate George Bush, but if I lived in Iraq I'm sure I would, I hate what he's done but I don't feel hate towards him

I think you can generally tell by the tone of someone's voice whether they truely hate something and afaic that's just as important as the individual words someone uses.

See http://roryface.bebo.com I have "hates" listed I think it's easy to tell which ones I genuinely hate & which ones I just find annoying & a tone isn't even required

If I really do hate something I tend to say detest, hate has been minimalised

Well looks like you missed it but he\she was making a very good point. There's nothing wrong with it but it is the same thing when you say "starving" for hunger as "hate" for dislike.

If I really do hate something I tend to say detest, hate has been minimalised
    What is the point I missed?
    Why do you tend to say detest instead of hate?

• Advertisement

homah_7ft wrote:
    What is the point I missed?
    Why do you tend to say detest instead of hate?

I assumed you missed it because you seemed to be making fun of his post that you quoted. - That hate has been minimalised - people saying they hate riverrock water when the shop's out of volvic isn't the same as the hate you feel for your exgirlfriend after blowing your best friend :D

I say detest when I genuinely hate something as the term hate doesn't reflect the true meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭the real ramon

Very rarely will anyone ever come accross someone they hate, it's only happened to me twice in my life that I have really hated someone and both were nasty, manipulative sociopaths who really caused me a hell of a lot of suffering. I think you can only really hate people like that, who are fairly unbalanced. It's better to let it out I agree than keep it bottled up: burn your bridges and cross to the other side of the road if you see them!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

Every week, the Galway Advertiser runs a column entitled the Proust Questionnaire, where they ask a z-list celebrity a series of questions. One of the questions is "Which living person do you most despise?". 90% of interviewees reply with "I don't despise anyone". It seems, therefore, that only 10% of the interviewees have the balls to answer the question honestly.

In my opinion, if you claim to hate no-one, you...
    A) are lying
    B) are deluded
    C) have lead a very sheltered life.

It is okay to hate - there are many people in the world who are worthy of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

i dont hate anyone

dont get me wrong people have really fuc*ed me over in the past and deserved more then pure hatred but a long time ago i started believing in karma and what goes around comes around etc. so even if someone really did a number on me instead of hating them i would just cut all ties and move on

also in the "what happens if you die 2moro" spirit i dont hate anyone just in case my spirit has to hang about afterwards because of the "unfinished business" of my hatred.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think I would find it very difficult - on the very rare occasion I get angry I manage to reason myself out of it almost automatically very quickly. Hate is not something I would use in reference to people.
    Things like exams, maybe.
    But if I felt very strongly about it, I would say I abhor or loathe something.
    It is okay to hate
    Why? Why purpose does it serve?

Neuro wrote:
    Every week, the Galway Advertiser runs a column entitled the Proust Questionnaire, where they ask a z-list celebrity a series of questions. One of the questions is "Which living person do you most despise?". 90% of interviewees reply with "I don't despise anyone". It seems, therefore, that only 10% of the interviewees have the balls to answer the question honestly.

In my opinion, if you claim to hate no-one, you...
    A) are lying
    B) are deluded
    C) have lead a very sheltered life.

It is okay to hate - there are many people in the world who are worthy of it!

I assume you mean that it's impossible not to hate because people can be such c*unts & the **** they tend to do. But while everyone is gonna experience reasons for hate not everyone holds hate.

Bluewolf is right, it holds no advantage to hate, no common ones I'd imagine anyway. However it is still ok to hate - it is just a feeling people get. As I mentioned I only hate one person. But it's more for what she is rather than anything she's done.

bluewolf wrote:

Why? Why purpose does it serve?

So every emotion has to serve a purpose does it? I would feel rather justified in hating someone who murdered my father. It doesn't serve a purpose but is instead an emotional reaction to an event.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

homah_7ft wrote:
    So every emotion has to serve a purpose does it? I would feel rather justified in hating someone who murdered my father. It doesn't serve a purpose but is instead an emotional reaction to an event.
    As a reaction, maybe. But would it continue on for a long time? Prolonged hatred can eat a person up, no? If it's not doing any good, why bother?
    If it at least gives you a motive to get something done - justice, perhaps, that kind of thing, then I can see why. But once that is done, it's not a requirement to forgive them, just stop hating. Disliking very much. Avoiding. But hating...?

I'm not still ecstatic about something that happened weeks or months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Archeron

bluewolf wrote:
    As a reaction, maybe. But would it continue on for a long time? Prolonged hatred can eat a person up, no? If it's not doing any good, why bother?
    If it at least gives you a motive to get something done - justice, perhaps, that kind of thing, then I can see why. But once that is done, it's not a requirement to forgive them, just stop hating. Disliking very much. Avoiding. But hating...?

I'm not still ecstatic about something that happened weeks or months ago.

I agree bluewolf. it takes a lot of energy to hate somebody for a pronlonged period, and doesnt seem worth it, on many levels. I know when I even think of the one person I think I do hate (whom I hate for the most mundane of reasons incidentally) it raises my blood pressure, i clench my fists and get annoyed. I would reckon its certainly not a healthy feeling, so I'm glad I dont hate too many people!!

• Advertisement

I've never felt hatred as such. I'm one of those people that can't even keep angry for long. My friends all know I can't keep grudges either. Can't really see the point.. I've been wronged in the past, reacted there and then, but I've never felt any deep hatred for one person. Waste of energy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement