Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitoring IM chats on MSN

Options
  • 18-05-2006 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello Everyone. This is my first post so hope I am making sense!!! :confused:
    A friend of mine has a 15 year old daughter who uses MSN. They are very concerned that she is not just speaking with her friends but to other MSN users. Is there any way that the chat history can be recorded/saved or even monitored as my friend is quite worried. Any responses appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

You can save a history of conversations by going into Tools, Options, Messages - there is a tick box that says "Automatically keep a history of my conversations" and just below this you can choose where to save or keep the default folder.

The above is how you select this option in Windows Live Messenger 8.0 Beta but I would probably guess that previous versions are fairly similar - it'll be under Tools Options somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Yes, it's available in the non-beta too Gosh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

you could install a key logger also incase she is smart enough to know about the logging option in MSN.

but, don't bother with the key loggers you pay for, there are plenty for free, private message me if you want details as i don't think posting links here would be helpful.

i wrote one few years ago, it is quite good IMHO.

although it wouldn't be capable of logging the other person involved in the conversation like messenger would without some tcp/ip hooking, its doable, but probably OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Zoned

Setting options within IM is only good until the users finds out and disables it. Kids are good at this. I found mine removing the history before logging off...:mad:

There are plenty of Instant messaging monitors out there...have a look here...http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/downloads/record_instant_messages_software/

regards

Zoned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tangledpuppet

If this in a networked environment, the MSN conversation can be sniffed from another PC, if a switch is in use on the network it's a little more difficult, but still quite possible.
    PM me if you need more info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Keyloggers are okay but many are detected by Anti-virus software (even though technically they are not a virus) as they are usually installed for nefarious purposes.

Also if you have SpyBot installed you may have to disable TeaTimer to install the key-logger and then also instruct SpyBot to ignore the keylogger. The same may be true of other anti-spyware programs.

Be careful too as your "friend" needs to know that the key-logger will also record everythign he/she/you type, including your emails and mail passwords, online banking access codes etc. Some keyloggers take snapshots of the screen every few seconds so that combined with your bank details typed in etc are very useful to snooping eyes :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Might be worth your while checking out here too when you get a chance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Wouldn't it be better to just talk to "their" child?

Do they also monitor all the people that the kid meets on the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

you could install a key logger also incase she is smart enough to know about the logging option in MSN.

but, don't bother with the key loggers you pay for, there are plenty for free, private message me if you want details as i don't think posting links here would be helpful.

i wrote one few years ago, it is quite good IMHO.

although it wouldn't be capable of logging the other person involved in the conversation like messenger would without some tcp/ip hooking, its doable, but probably OTT.

aye n just aswell to be on the safe side again. when you download the program, remove it from the "All Programs" list.
    Then if you want to just hide the keylogger folder by simply just right clicking on the folder and selecting "Hidden".
    To show the folder again just to go Tools-->Folder Options-->View--> and in advanced settings just click show hidden files and folders, just tick the opposite box again to hide it and your sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

And here I was under the impression that privacy was a basic human right. How old-fashioned I am! In my day, parents spoke to their children to find out what they were doing rather than spying on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

And here I was under the impression that privacy was a basic human right. How old-fashioned I am! In my day, parents spoke to their children to find out what they were doing rather than spying on them.

yeah, i was thinking how silly my reply is now.
    its probably about some gf/bf being online & the other half not trusting them.

Advertisement