Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tolling City Centre?

Options
  • 18-05-2006 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭

Probbably been done before but anyhoo, any views on tolling access to the city centre, starting at 1€ in Y1 rolling up to say 5€ after 5 years to give people time to adjust, money to be ringfenced, I'd even say southside initally cos of DART Luas etc.

I know people in Dun laoghaire that drive to the IFSC, and they don't even have a company car, I know someone else who drives into Baggot st even though he lives near the Stillorgan QBC, cos he has a free parking spot. And where I live in Sandymount I see the neighbours driving into town in the morning. there is a huge laziness here.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

There is lazyness but public transport is still pretty bad here.

I would love to see less cars on the road (I am a PT user) but I don't think Dublin is ready for CC tolling yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

On a day like today, never mind a cold wet november dark day, you can understand why people will drive as opposed to wait forever for a bus.

It's chicken and egg, but this chicken is the provison of a radical and new public transport system, including the changing of many of the exisitng bus routes (they're mostly based on the old trams lines hence the an-laristic layout off them) and the egg is, well, and egg. But I like mine sunny-side up cos thats the sorta guy i am!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

wait forever for a bus.

Guess what's causing the busses to be late, traffic. I know it's quite shocking really.

The busses are stuck in traffic that the cars are creating.

Take away the cars and the busses run on time.

Oh and this isn't a myth of some sort this is what happens when the roads aren't full of cars, for example, when colleges and schools are off.

I'm not blaming schools here but they are the best example I could of think of. There are many, and I mean many, people who drive to work in the city centre when they do not need to.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bazzer06

Anyone posting here that has first hand exerience of the effect of the CC in London?
    I'm completely clueless about it and was wondering if it has made a big improvement there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

bazzer06 wrote:
    Anyone posting here that has first hand exerience of the effect of the CC in London?
    I'm completely clueless about it and was wondering if it has made a big improvement there?

Yes, the central area has improved quite substantially. The zone around the charge has not fared so well though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,019 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I dont know weather it would work since drivers cant even cop on that they are no allowed drive down O'Connell St from Mountjoy square. How would they cope with toling since they cant even read a sign that says there not allowed drive down O'Connell ST from Mountjoy Sq.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

b3t4 wrote:
    Guess what's causing the busses to be late, traffic. I know it's quite shocking really.

The busses are stuck in traffic that the cars are creating.

Take away the cars and the busses run on time.

Yes, but if you took all the cars off the road, Dublin Bus simply wouldn't have the capacity to carry all those passengers.

It works in London because the underground is excellent and it is cheap, easy and quick to get to most places in London via the underground. The underground is also supported by a very good and well integrated bus service.

Tolling simply isn't an option in Dublin until we improve public transport in Dublin. Maybe when the Luas is extended, Metro built, Interconnector built, Dart extended and Dublin bus reconfigured and integrated with these, we could then probably look at tolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I think our main problem is the road layout.

We have bus lanes, however only in certain places and they often bottle neck into a single lane.

Poor planning and and little thought baout the future has left us like this.

Also as a commuter, there is no way in hell I am waiting 30-45 mins for a bus to take me into town while standing in the freezing cold. Secondly, when a bus arrives in the morning it's standing room only.... so thats 60 min trip standing before you make it to work.

I'd rather drive to rathmines, park the car on a side st where it's free and then walk in.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,019 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

bk wrote:
    Yes, but if you took all the cars off the road, Dublin Bus simply wouldn't have the capacity to carry all those passengers.
    No congestion means much higher average bus speeds which means more journeys per day, which means higher frequency and/or the ability to serve more routes using the SAME number of buses.
    layke wrote:
    I think our main problem is the road layout.
    No, it's not, it's selfish gits in cars, tbh, combined with very short-sighted politicians (e.g. Harcourt St line closure, Luas emasculated, failure to build Metro.)
    No city in the world can cope with everyone who works there travelling by car.
    Also as a commuter, there is no way in hell I am waiting 30-45 mins for a bus to take me into town while standing in the freezing cold. Secondly, when a bus arrives in the morning it's standing room only.... so thats 60 min trip standing before you make it to work.
    See above about how less congestion means greater frequency of buses.
    I'd rather drive to rathmines, park the car on a side st where it's free and then walk in.
    How thoughtful of you. Would you like people doing that outside your house?

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ninja900 wrote:
    No congestion means much higher average bus speeds which means more journeys per day, which means higher frequency and/or the ability to serve more routes using the SAME number of buses.

I'm sorry but that just isn't realistic. While reduced congestion would certainly lead to faster buses, they would still need to deal with congestion outside the city and even with faster turn around times, there still wouldn't be anywhere near the capacity to deal with the numbers you would take off the road.

I'd imagine you would need to at least triple the Dublin Bus fleet. You would also have to create new routes currently undeserved by DB and you should develop proper Park and Ride facilities.

This of course is all doable. But they should be doing these things now before they start thinking about actually introducing the congestion charging.

Advertisement