Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumerism and pressure on young people

Options
  • 17-05-2006 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am researching an article for a magazine and interested in people's thoughts on pressures on young people (say aged 15 - 30) and how the growth of consumer society in Ireland over the past 10-15 years or so has affected people.

I will PM people who respond for their names, ages, etc., if there are some responses I can use in the piece, if that is ok. If people would prefer me not to mention names or whatever in the article, that shouldn't be a problem.

I am hoping I might be able to pose a few more questions once the debate moves on...

The magazine I am writing for is an international affairs magazine, edited in London, with a circulation of roughly 20,000 copies in various European countries. Let me know if you would like more details and I can post them up here.

I will pose a few questions or thoughts that might provoke some interesting responses.

Do you feel that the Irish society and culture is more individualised?

Do you think that there is a tendency towards insecurity and uncertainty in a rapidly developing consumer society?

How easy do you think it is for young people to find their direction in life in a mass consumer society?

Do you feel Ireland has lost anything socially or culturally during this period of economic growth?

Do you feel empowered by the huge range of consumer choices and opportunities that economic growth brings, or do you think there is a negative side to any of this?

Though the nation is on the whole materially richer, are we growing poorer in other ways?

Are any areas of life in Ireland are becoming devalued by the pace of change, urbanisation, economic growth and technological advances?

Does the education system prepares people adequately to deal with life in a rapidly growing and changing economy?

Is the growth of youth / MTV culture and the fact that the 15 - 30 age group is heavily targeted by advertisers is a good thing?

How easy do you think it is for young people who may be more emotionally vulnerable for whatever reason to cope with the various pressures of a growing and changing society?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I might be interested in answering some questions. I'm not sure they're great questions but I'd like to know what the article is about exactly and the name of the publication, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

jrey1981 wrote:
    I am researching an article for a magazine and interested in people's thoughts on pressures on young people (say aged 15 - 30) and how the growth of consumer
    society in Ireland over the past 10-15 years or so has affected people.

Not to nitpik, but as DadaKopf mentioned, you questions are kinda bad

A lot of them are very loaded.

You are presenting a position and asking the person if they agree. Most people will say yes, even if they aren't quite sure what exactly you are getting at. You are probably not going to get a very true reflection of what young people actually think, more the results of the survey will seem to just confirm what you already think.

You want to ask people what they think, not do they agree with what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Humanities is not here to conduct surveys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement