Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name the wood and finish:)

Options
  • 17-05-2006 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I need to do project where I describe pieces I've seen in a shop. I took the photos but forgot to ask about the wood and finish etc. Would anyone be able to confirm the wood and the finished used for these 3 pieces please:

click

Regards:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I asked on some other forums too and the verdict was that the round table and chair is lacquered mahogany and the coffee table is varnished birch!

I've gone with the above and finished the project anyway:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi cormie,

Of course at best the answers you have at the moment are educated guesses, based on the pics available.

Stain can do wonders on any timbers , giving the desired wood tones needed. It is almost impossible to give an accurate answer for the timbers, as the mahogany colour masks up the grain patterns in the pieces.

The square coffee table could be just as easily copper beech, as this has striking grain streaks the same as those visible. A suitable stain will do the rest. Sycamore is also a possibility. As these two timbers were often used in cheaper quality pieces, and stained to suit popular timbers of the time.

Of course this is all academic now as your project is completed.

So to give your project further credence, yes they are birch and mahogany.;) ;)

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Haha:D

Somebody else suggested sycamore too actually! Well, they said Maple, which is the American Sycamore I'm lead to believe:) Let's hope it's marked fairly so!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Who's doing the marking on your project,

kadman:)

Advertisement