Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis- No New Material till 2008

Options
  • 17-05-2006 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I see Oasis have scrapped plans to release a stand alone single (was supposed to be a Liam song "The Boy With The Blues" I think) this summer, which means no new material until 2008. Have to say I'm a bit disappointed that they now seem to be in a regular cycle of 3 year gaps between albums. Granted they undertook a lengthy world tour for Don't Believe The Truth but notwithstanding that, with 4 active songwriters in the band (ok, Gem and Andy will never be allowed write more than a couple of songs each per album) I had hoped to hear something new by them before then. Any thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20060515_noelg.shtml

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

There's no big rush on them, so why should they bother?(From their perspective)- as Noel said in interviews about Be Here Now, they had a ****load of money and wanted to use it. They don't need to write an album for the money, and it takes them much longer to write decent songs now. Granted, the last album was much better than the last three, but it took a long time to deliver. Like a lot of bands, most of their great songs were written before they were famous, and, as Noel regrets, threw away a lot of them as b sides when they could have been kept for albums further down the road.

As for the other guys in the band- Andy Bell just seems to be in it for the money. A great guitarist in Ride, he's just happy now to plod along with uninspiring cliched bass riffs to accompany a guitarist(s) who are way below his level.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tricky@

I suppose if the long gaps are for quality control purposes thats no bad thing, although was it not the protracted recording sessions that delayed DBTT's release, rather than actually taking long to write the songs? Noel seems quite content to let the others have a bigger contribution to songwriting duties, which is no bad thing per se but Andy Bell's basslines arent the only cliched things he produces, Keep The Dream Alive sounds like a leftover from Hurricaine#1's best forgotten couple of album's.

Some other random thought's: I thought Liam's contributions to Heaten Chemistry were superior overall to his DBTT tunes.

Anyone else notice the lack of what you could call the "classic" Oasis Songs- i.e written by Noel and sung by Liam. There was only 2 on DBTT.

The B-sides have notably dropped in standard although that is as a result, as you pointed out of Noel probably holding back the good stuff for album's now. Let's All Make Believe is the last truely memorable one that springs to my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭bottlerocket

Fair play to Noel, better than releasing any oul tat I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I'm disapointed too that they're taking yet another long break. Ok, they've paid their dues in music and absolutely deserve the luxury of choosing their creative schedule but at the same time taking lengthy breaks isn't necessarily good for the music and we have seen this with the drop in standards of Noel's songs. I have no problem with them taking their time in the studio as long as the msuic they produce is good (like the last 2 albums) but them lounging all the time by the swimming pool annoys me when they could be releasing great albums every 2 years. The wait for the next album in 08' better be worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I wouldn't be surprised to see (a) a Noel solo album and (b) a greatest hits before then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

I'm disapointed too that they're taking yet another long break. Ok, they've paid their dues in music and absolutely deserve the luxury of choosing their creative schedule but at the same time taking lengthy breaks isn't necessarily good for the music and we have seen this with the drop in standards of Noel's songs. I have no problem with them taking their time in the studio as long as the msuic they produce is good (like the last 2 albums) but them lounging all the time by the swimming pool annoys me when they could be releasing great albums every 2 years. The wait for the next album in 08' better be worth it!
    why? we should be thankful they are releasing an album at all, They could have split many times, its a testiment to them that they are even still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tricky@

TmB wrote:
    I wouldn't be surprised to see (a) a Noel solo album and (b) a greatest hits before then.

Noel actually alluded to the fact that a solo album maybe a possibility at some stage in the future in this months Q magazine. As for a greatest hits he's always said they should come after a band has split up but ultimately Sony could take that decision out of his hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

No new material since 1993 more like.

Advertisement