Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade begins tomorrow

Options
  • 17-05-2006 3:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Perpare for massive disruption folks. I just want anyone who uses the M50 to know, I feel your pain. Not too worry it will only take five years. Traffic management restrictions begin tomorrow at the red cow roundabout.......youve been warned!:p

EDIT: I hope they set up a dedicated website for this scheme.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

Better to endure the disruption now and get it over with than adopt the British approach to road upgrades... put them off indefinitely and find yourself in total gridlock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

MT wrote:
    Better to endure the disruption now and get it over with than adopt the British approach to road upgrades... put them off indefinitely and find yourself in total gridlock.

Yep, no pain, no gain. Of course had they designed it properly, like the engineers said in the beginning........but thats a different argument. At least were getting on with it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

towger wrote:

I know about that website mate. I mean a site like the N7 upgrade site or the N2 website:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

darkman2 wrote:
    Yep, no pain, no gain. Of course had they designed it properly, like the engineers said in the beginning........but thats a different argument. At least were getting on with it:)

It was designed properly, that why it's possible to upgrade it to three lanes. It was designed to be future proof but because of the hold ups at the southern end of the M50 due the legal disputes over Carrickmines and the huge and unforseeable increase in traffic, the upgrade has had to be carried out years, perhaps even decades before it was expected to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

When its done it'll be a great road and do the job well. With the Belfast Westlink being upgraded and work on the limerick, cork & waterford bypasses, the next decade will be a golden era for our roads and their ability to avoid major cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

The electronic signs on the M50 now say that the upgrade works will begin on monday the 22nd of may...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Here is a prediction, that in todays prices petrol will cost 4€-5€ a litre by the time the extension is finished, for those that can afford it, it will be a sweet piece of road.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Despatch wrote:
    It was designed properly, that why it's possible to upgrade it to three lanes. It was designed to be future proof but because of the hold ups at the southern end of the M50 due the legal disputes over Carrickmines and the huge and unforseeable increase in traffic, the upgrade has had to be carried out years, perhaps even decades before it was expected to be.

If that is the case then why do several of the bridges look like they have no space for the two extra lanes. Some sections have a wider meridian than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

If that is the case then why do several of the bridges look like they have no space for the two extra lanes. Some sections have a wider meridian than others.

The might not appear to be enough space in some sections of the median there but there is plenty of room to spare on the hard shoulder side of the M50 should any of that need to be used. Any alterations that would have to be made near bridges would be relatively minor in the context of the entire project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Some sections have a wider meridian than others.
    A wider median perhaps? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

How many years before they have to re-do it again for 4 lanes. They should leave all the bridges wider to allow for future expansion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

yep well the tiger was in a wild rush and filled nearly every inch of grass adjacent all the way around the M50 even when it was chronically conjested a few years ago. the M50 has no rush hour it's rush hour all day, I can garentee you the M50 will be conjested once the upgrade opens, obvious anyways, but through traffic, for example are using the Old N7 into town again, deafeating the purpose of the M50 :eek: even avoiding the N7 to N4 section of M50 which is the best route into the city via Chapelizod. all the back roads around the M50 are all clogging up. ther's trhousands of car's per day i bet avoid the M50 and deterr to the side roads and old roads into the city.

traffic has already reached at 100,000 a day in most of the busier sections which more than justifies for a four lane motorway. I think there shoild be more motorways criss crossing the Western Parkway and not just depending on the M50 as our spine to move, and more public transport too.

How will the introduction of electronic tolling be effective?? What about cars from abroad and those from the north?? It seems to me that there will still be a requirement for a cashier or two.

Hi, has anyone been by the Mad Cow yet. Just wondering if the works have actually started or is it still at tree cutting stage?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

darkman2 wrote:
    Hi, has anyone been by the Mad Cow yet. Just wondering if the works have actually started or is it still at tree cutting stage?:confused:

The hard shoulder on the southbound lane was closed this morning (under the junction itself). That was all I saw today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Darkman9999

I want my nickname back Darkman2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

nordydan wrote:
    How will the introduction of electronic tolling be effective?? What about cars from abroad and those from the north??
    Same as for itinerants, they won't pay , because we won't have ad address to bill them at!

Same as for itinerants, they won't pay , because we won't have ad address to bill them at!

Toll free roads for us, thank God!! And guess what we can do 200kph on them and not get booked.
    The Newry to Cork Rally...........coming soon to a free state near you!!

I was just thinking we could turn the M50 into a formula one track and everytime they reach the end they just turn around and go the other way (theyd be the laps) and of course they could stop to pay the toll aswell each time they pass through:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement