Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden History

Options
  • 16-05-2006 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

What did you make of it. I can't believe it was banned here - along with half the literary heros of the past 100 years - except the fact that some people saw a true reflection of themselves and didn't like what they saw.
    I couldn't believe the religious teachings the children rote-learnt - total brainwashing - and the guilt and shame of - well maybe my parents generation or thereabouts - which I suppose explains a lot to be honest.
    Even though I'm not a Dub, the look at life in Dublin some 45 years ago was pretty amazing.
    Shows how much some things have changed - and how much some haven't!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

yeah, it was a fairly depressing film alright. Glad we have moved away from catholic dominance in the past few years. My blood was boiling seeing how backward and oppressed the people were. The list of people who were censored was shocking. Was interesting to see the contrast between Ireland and France at that time in the documentary shown last night giving the background to the making of the film. I caught the tail end of the backwards Catholic school system when I was in primary school back in the 80’s but have to say even that wasn’t as oppressive as watching them kids getting brainwashed in the class rooms back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

A damning critique on irish society 40 yrs ago v depressing. Michael Cleary talking about sex and marriage and he was getting the leg over on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

it wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but I guess there isn't that any other kind of docu like that of Ireland at the time, I missed the first 15 minutes of it though:/

it shocking to hear that the Church such had a hand in our alligning with the US, another reason to hate the church...

I guess it let the people hang themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Forgot the was on.

Does anyone know if it'll be repeated? I wasn't able to find it listed anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

The thing that caught my eye was the old guy on the censorship appeal board. Could you imagine trying to make your case to him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement