Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No energy

Options
  • 16-05-2006 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this is going to be a little less worthy of a spot in the PI forum than the other posts but its really getting on my nerves.

Im lucky enough to work short hours as a part time teacher and still get enough wages to get on ok.. and upto lately I've had no hassle whatsoever in my daily routine.

In the past few weeks, Ive been falling asleep at 4 or 5pm for an hour and spending the evening and nights in a dopey daze, full of fatigue and without much energy. I'd love to be getting up and going for a walk or out for a swim etc but I just dont have the energy. I feel heavy all over (in a mind sense, Im not overweight!) and this tends to only lift at around 11:30pm.. where then I spend an hour or two running around organising myself for the following day.

I end up so tired in the mornings that I've only time for a shower and head straight to work.. Maybe getting a yoghurt before I start.

Im wide awake during the day but as soon as I get home I get the wrecked feeling all over again. I hate how lazy Im getting! Its not what Im normally like. Im spending too much time sitting here looking at the net and getting nothing active done. But.. when I turn off the PC, I just feel too clammy and lethargic to go out for a cycle or a walk etc.

Any advice? Its driving me mad. Ive recently started a night course, distance learning, and Im afraid my lethargy is going to effect that.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Maybe you need to get you thyroid checked out by a doctor. Its a symptom of an underactive thyroid. Or maybe you could be run down. Go to your GP and ask them to run some bloods on you. Put your mind at ease. It could also be un beknown stress.. Same thing happened my sis and that what it was but just go anyway.. good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Well the first thing would be to get a checkup obviously. You could have any one of a number of different things, from glandular fever to anaemia(sp?).

The other thing would be take a break. Another thing though would be to limit or cut out altogether your sugar consumption. Even just for a few days. See if there's a difference. If you get better: great. If you get worse (which is likely), then get through a week. If at the end there is no improvement: go to doc.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Definitely get a checkup. In the meantime, make sure you are drinking a couple of litres of water a day, dehydration can really get you tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I've been told before too that I dont drink enough water.. and suffered similarly.
    I find it hard to get into the habit of drinking it all the time, never mind the loo breaks!

Gordon wrote:
    Definitely get a checkup. In the meantime, make sure you are drinking a couple of litres of water a day, dehydration can really get you tired.

Ya know what.. I hardley drink any water.. Maybe some milk, tea a can of orange or a small bottle of water etc.

I'll try that first. I dont fancy going to the doc just yet.. She'll just say its stress from the new course. (Ive a history of stress.. but I know it so well that I know this isnt it).

I think I'll hit the multi vitamins too. Can anyone recommend one that works?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Are you...me?

I'm always very lethargic but I've come to the conclusion that it's because I'm not getting enough activity (ironic, eh?). You know when you're sick and spend days in bed, recuperating, you find you're knackered when you get out of bed? This is because lack of exercise and activity causes your body to produce less energy, making you tired. It's a vicious circle but basically you need to force yourself to go for a walk or whatever. It will help in the long run!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I find a walk by the beach to be one of the best cures for those mood s of lethargy and indifference. It always manages to lift my spirits.

Also, lots of water helps too. :)

I agree with the above. Get a medical checkup and especially your thyroid gland - involves a simple blood test which normally your GP can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Have you changed your diet/what you drink recently?
    I had similar symptoms when I gave up coffee.

Checkup sounds like the way to go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

OP, you symptoms sound exactly the same as my wife's. She's pregnant :eek:

• Advertisement

I'm in the exact same position as you. Extremely tired when I wake up in the morning, wake up during the day, and then become very tired again. I usually get between 7 and 10 hours sleep a night, so I'm not sleep deprived.

It is very annoying though!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

A bit of Ginseng and as someone else said, drink enough water.

Advertisement