Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

empty barrels and houses!

Options
  • 16-05-2006 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

Right so when I started playing yesterday, I decided to lighten the load and dump none essential items like spare soul gems, ingredients, some enchanted light armor I wasn't using but keeping for later training and my arena champ armor thingy in an empty barrel. I visited the barrel frequently as it's near the shop I sell a lot of the loot to and everything was fine. 3 hours later when I was about to log off I've discovered that the barrel has emptied itself and contains a shovel and a single gold piece :(

I got the feeling that random containers are not meant for long term storage. So the question is, would this happen to containers in houses that I can buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I don't think it happens in houses you buy but it does defo happen in other peoples houses. Sorry to hear about the loss, supposedly the floor is a better place than barrels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Yeah googled for answers a few mins ago and apparently it says in the manual that items in containers you don't own can disappear. So containers you own in your house are ok. I was leaving stuff on the floor before I tried this but a couple of hundred ingredients on the floor is just messy and hard to find. Will just have to buy a house then.

CodeMonkey wrote:
    Yeah googled for answers a few mins ago and apparently it says in the manual that items in containers you don't own can disappear. So containers you own in your house are ok. I was leaving stuff on the floor before I tried this but a couple of hundred ingredients on the floor is just messy and hard to find. Will just have to buy a house then.

save up for the mansion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Jeez that bites. Do you have a previous save?

chamlis wrote:

yeah it sounds like an awful lot of lost swag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

Vegeta wrote:
    save up for the mansion
    i slept in that mansion whilst playing last night.... wont be going back there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

As counter-intuitive as it may sound, the safest place for all your prize possessions is on the floor or table of one of your houses. Even if you own the house and place an item in a container it can disappear over time.
    So just leave them hanging about.

Roen wrote:
    As counter-intuitive as it may sound, the safest place for all your prize possessions is on the floor or table of one of your houses. Even if you own the house and place an item in a container it can disappear over time.
    So just leave them hanging about.
    Containers you actually own in your house shouldn't be affected by the "garbage collection" routine. Unless you have experience to the contrary, this is why I brought this up and asked. The couple of google links I scanned through suggests that this is true. Like I said, it's hard to organise your ingredients when you end up with so many if you just leave them on the floor.
    chamlis wrote:
    Yeah but it the last save is 3 hrs from before the quicksave so I'd rather just loose the items instead of the time. I've made close to 8k worth of gold in that 3 hrs plus upgraded armor from all dwarven set to 3 pieces of ebony I found in a vampire hunting quest and got 4 grand soul gems towards a certain cure. I'd rather not do all that again. Will def buy a house though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Just checked,
    If you own the gaff your items will persist. If you don't just leave them on the floor/tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Vodka Junkie

I'm almost certain containers in a house you own doesn't refresh. It's supposed to occur every 72 hours in-game so I tested it by waiting four days for stuff I threw in a cup board. They were still there. I like houses they're nice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭Sand

If youre on a PC get Tandem's Guild Storage 1.2 (google it); offers safe storage chests at Guilds.

If youre on X-Box youre stuck with the floor or buying a house.

Oh yeah - I laughed when I read
    3 hours later when I was about to log off I've discovered that the barrel has emptied itself and contains a shovel and a single gold piece

Nice of them to leave you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

CodeMonkey wrote:
    Containers you actually own in your house shouldn't be affected by the "garbage collection" routine.

must be written in java :p

items in containers in your house never disappear and the house on the waterfront is pretty cheap if your stuck.
    ofcourse just leaving stuff on the floor works great, i have a sword all the way back at the sewer exit from the start and its still there now

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    must be written in java :p

items in containers in your house never disappear and the house on the waterfront is pretty cheap if your stuck.
    ofcourse just leaving stuff on the floor works great, i have a sword all the way back at the sewer exit from the start and its still there now
    Yeah I bought that house in the imperial city with some storage space...then I finished the cure for vampirism quest
    and got overpaid by the count
    so I splashed out on that mansion in skingrad and bought all the furnishings. The mansion got display cases to show off when other players come aro...oh wait...this isn't a mmorpg...what's the point of personal display cases? :) Anyway,
    I can't believe that bug exists which allows people to get an infinite amount of gold
    . That's a big oversight.

testing this game must have been rough, can you imagine doing every mission in every scenario possible over and over again, it would make someone hate the game

Vegeta wrote:
    testing this game must have been rough, can you imagine doing every mission in every scenario possible over and over again, it would make someone hate the game

But it's due to the commitment of those at Bethesda sacrificing not only their lives but their very sanity that brought us the gane we naw have.

Ladies and Gentlemen of Bethesda I salute thee.

yeah they did a good job in fairness

The bethesdest

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I leave my stuff all over teh shop, floors. Works out grand. Same as in Morrowind.

I leave my stuff all over teh shop, floors. Works out grand. Same as in Morrowind.

seriously avoid the barrells and chests in other peoples houses/ stuff will go missing. The floor is cool though

They took a cool daedric gift from me, the theiving cupboards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Vegeta wrote:
    seriously avoid the barrells and chests in other peoples houses/ stuff will go missing. The floor is cool though
    Pff, why would I put it in a barrell or chest. I don't even put stuff awaty in real life.

Advertisement