Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hope of the States

Options
  • 16-05-2006 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

at long last Hope of the States are coming back with some new material. I caught their new song on MTV2 (I know, I shouldn't be watching the likes of that, but anyway) yesterday evening and was a little surprised by the new direction they seem to be taking. I loved their last album, 'The Lost Riots', which was dark yet curiously upbeat at the same time. This newer stuff seems to be a little more middle of the road, which is a little disappointing.

Don't get me wrong, the song was good and will probably do well for them, but its like everything else out there at the moment. Theres nothing in it to set them aside from bands like the Kooks or Dirty Pretty Things, who have little enough going for them.

In saying all this, I'm basing things on the first listen of their new single (which is called 'Sing it Out') and this may not be necessarily representative of of the album, which is out on June 19th. Heres hoping.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I haven't heard 'Sing It Out' as yet, but I've heard the EP they released in April, 'Blood Meridian'. From that evidence I'm not too sure what to think. I loved 'The Lost Riots' for it's honesty and raw-ness. The new songs i've heard just seem to be a distant, pop-rock song aimed squarely at the likes of an MTV2 audience.

I hope to crap I'm wrong though and the album isn't all like that because HOTS were one of only 3 British bands that didn't make me want to rip my ears off and choke myself with them :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The Lost Riots was a stunning piece of work but they probably didnt get as much recognition as they would of liked. I wouldnt be surprised if they are trying to move more towards a mainstream audience with this new album.

I liked Blood Meridian but havent heard this new song 'Sing it out', still have high hopes for the new album though. Anyone know if they have any dates in Ireland planned for this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

aye the lost riots was fantastic. I wasn't able to find Blood Meridian so i haven't heard that yet. There is lots of there older stuff and b-sides up here, www.thehalfwayhome.com (and its all provided by the band so its legal). Nicky Wire was on The Round Table music thing the other day and said the new album has to be listened to as a whole piece and not by the single. He says its very good. Depends on how much you trusy Nicky Wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

according to their website they're playing Oxygen (the green room?)

Its a shame when festivals like that hog the only Irish date of a band like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

well last time they did one in the TBMC i think after. There show at Oxegen a few years ago was spectacular!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

loved black amnesiacs.
    cant stand your mans voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

The two singles are apparently the poorest on the LP. John Earls (Teletext guy) was there for the first play of the album and said it is excellent. And remember he was one of the first to champion them after they sent in a demo to him so he knows his HOTS (only band to have ever gotten 10/10 for a live gig off him).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

video for the new single is here;

http://www.thisisfakediy.co.uk/articles/1737.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Smurfpiss wrote:
    loved black amnesiacs.
    cant stand your mans voice.

you should check out Godspeed You! Black Emperor then, unless you're already a fan.

Advertisement