Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bewleys hotel on N32 - solar panels?

Options
  • 15-05-2006 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just a quick question - I noticed on the roof of this new hotel near the N32/M50/M1 junction there are a lot of panels, south-facing. I'm curious to know whether they are solar water heating or solar PV panels. They didn't look that black, as most water heating panels are, but the sun was out and the sky was reflected in them, so I'm not sure about that.

Cheers,

B.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

They are solar thermal, 400m2. Meant to displace 200000kwh of gas. I believe Zen international are the suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

That's a lot of hot showers.

Thanks Kelter.

It's good to see that sort of thing appearing on new buildings. I work in a new-ish 4-storey building in Finglas, floor to ceiling windows. The amount of heat we get from sun coming in the windows is quite surprising. I'm not sure how beneficial a solar thermal system would be for an office block, but for the likes of a hotel they would probably make back the cost of the system in a couple of years.

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

edited post

It looks like all panels are facing SE. With that number of panels you would think that some would face SE, some S and some SW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Solar thermal should be made a planning requirement or something for hotels. The amount of hot water they go through between showers and the endless laundry is unbelievable. Great to see it going in though, full marks to them. It must be making economic sense for them.

Advertisement