Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Licence/Test loop

Options
  • 15-05-2006 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

I have been given a date for my driving test (finally) and low and behold my prov licence is now out of date having had to wait over a year for the test. Of course now I have to pay the E15 for a new prov licence because I have been made wait for over a year just so I can take my test ie. to use it for a whole 3 weeks.

Now I'm not trying to make out that this has all been done on purpose, but that is not to say that the County Councils aren't creaming it. With 140,000 people wating for a test, if this happens to even a quarter of them thats over E500,000 totally wasted.

Has this happened to anyone else here or are Kildare and Meath the only counties where the waiting lists are "nearly a year long"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Treade

Yes the same thing happened to me. And to make matters worse I failed the test when I did it. So now I have to reapply for the test and by the time I get a new date in Dublin my new provisional licence will have expired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

You'll only need the new Provisional Licence for three weeks provided, of course, that you pass!

:D

I did my driving test two days before my 2nd provsional was due to expire, but I would agree that if you were forced to get a new provisional licence while waiting for your test then some amount should be credited towards the cost of your Full Licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Linoge wrote:
    I have been given a date for my driving test (finally) and low and behold my prov licence is now out of date having had to wait over a year for the test. Of course now I have to pay the E15 for a new prov licence because I have been made wait for over a year just so I can take my test ie. to use it for a whole 3 weeks.

Now I'm not trying to make out that this has all been done on purpose, but that is not to say that the County Councils aren't creaming it. With 140,000 people wating for a test, if this happens to even a quarter of them thats over E500,000 totally wasted.

Has this happened to anyone else here or are Kildare and Meath the only counties where the waiting lists are "nearly a year long"?

You had the option of applying for the test two years ago. I would have thought that every category B provisional licence holder would have been aware that there are long waiting times for the test.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well my provisional expired the day before my test!! Sat the test and failed!! Either way you have to have a lisence no matter what!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Litcagral wrote:
    You had the option of applying for the test two years ago. I would have thought that every category B provisional licence holder would have been aware that there are long waiting times for the test.

Yes, you're right. There are also long waiting times for lung and heart transplants which I am aware of. Think about that before you decide to have a heart attack or contract lung cancer.

Is that you Martin???:confused::confused::confused:

Edit:

With regards to my situation and the majority of others I can imagine, we are on our 3rd provisional license which is only valid for a year and also requires you to apply for your license.

Although you may have picked this up wrong, you are still very wrong in justifying long wait times by the fact that people are aware of them (re: my sarcastic flame above).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Linoge wrote:
    With regards to my situation and the majority of others I can imagine, we are on our 3rd provisional license which is only valid for a year and also requires you to apply for your license.

Although you may have picked this up wrong, you are still very wrong in justifying long wait times by the fact that people are aware of them (re: my sarcastic flame above).

How long was your first provisional? How long was the second? Surely the waiting times weren't that long?

I know people that didn't sit the test because they couldn't be bothered to and didn't need to. I am not saying that this is the case with you but why did you not sit it during one of your first two licenses?

I find it odd that people complain that the list are longer than the license is valid for when they had ample time to do the test on one of the previous licenses.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I reckon this problem could be solved with a 5-year provisional - a stopgap measure until the current mess is sorted out.

Course they wont do that cos they're money grabbers.

I reckon this problem could be solved with a 5-year provisional - a stopgap measure until the current mess is sorted out.

Course they wont do that cos they're money grabbers.
    5 years? The wait is a yearish. What is it, 4 years to faff arround on the road on your own and 1 year to get your sh1t together?

Here is a plan:

1) Apply for a license.
    2) Apply for the test.
    3) Get some lessons.
    4) Sit the test & hopefully pass it.
    5) Get the full license.

Christ, it isn't hard. It not like you have to design a rocket as part of the theory test.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Linoge wrote:
    Yes, you're right. There are also long waiting times for lung and heart transplants which I am aware of. Think about that before you decide to have a heart attack or contract lung cancer.

Is that you Martin???:confused::confused::confused:

Edit:

I'm in no way justifing the long waiting times- I think they are a disgrace. I was merely implying that many provisional licence holders do not immediately apply for their test but wait for months or years and then complain that they have to get another. If I was back on a provisional licence I would apply immediately for the test given the ridiculous situation that exists. (AFAIK one does not have to have a licence when applying- open to correction). That does not mean that I approve or am attempt to justify the situation. When I applied for truck, bus and motorcycle provisionals, I applied for the tests at the same time and didn't need to get subsequent provisional licences.

I doubt that the fee is a "money racket". It probably costs more in administrative expenses than it brings in.

The reason that I haven't done the test before is that I previously I had only been the owner of a license, not a car. I never stepped into a car until I got my 3rd license.

And that is totally besides the point. The point is wait time for a test > duration of a licence.

What should have been done, what I did, if I was back on a prov license, what the plan is etc is of no absolutely no importance. I think that everyone should study hard for the Leaving Cert, do a degree and get a good job. I'm not exagerating, that is just as similar a conclusion as Litcagral and MrP are coming to.

L- I never labeled as a "money racket" (don't know why it was quoted:confused: ) I did say that CC are creaming it ie: they are not complaining as they are doing well from it. The administration cost? It costs E5 to replace a lost licence, how much more administration do you think is needed to renew an existing licence?

• Advertisement

Why did you bother applying for a first and second license if you were not going to use it.

You never set foot in a car until your 3rd license. Why bother having one? Yes the waiting time is long but seriously you have had what, 5 years to sit a test?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'm in a similar situation, the bloody tax on the bike expires 5 days before the test and it has to be taxed to sit it. I was gonna retire that bike and garage it once I get my full licence and get something bigger. Drat. €67 down the pan.

MrPudding wrote:
    Why did you bother applying for a first and second license if you were not going to use it.

You never set foot in a car until your 3rd license. Why bother having one? Yes the waiting time is long but seriously you have had what, 5 years to sit a test?

MrP

Why are you trying to WWM me? I just told you that it doesn't matter and explained why. Draw your own conclusion as to all the reasons why someone might have a license and not use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

I have no sympathy for Provisional Licence holders who wait years before they do the test and then complain the county councils are "creaming it". It's €15 ffs hardly extortionate and I would think barely covers the administrative cost of producing the licence in the first place.

You're very lucky to be allowed stay on the road indefinitely with a provisional and not even have to apply for a test for 5 years in this country. Its different in other countries.

You complain about having to pay €15 yet you are p!ssing away hundreds of euro extra on insurance every year driving with a provisional rather than a full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

murphaph wrote:
    I'm in a similar situation, the bloody tax on the bike expires 5 days before the test and it has to be taxed to sit it. I was gonna retire that bike and garage it once I get my full licence and get something bigger. Drat. €67 down the pan.

Philip, I believe you can do the test on any bike once it's taxed and insured. Would it be possible for you to get a lend of a bike to do the test in?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Some people got their original licences back before the Garda age card came in so they could drink.

I was talking to one guy who said it was advantageous for him. He got signifigantly lower car insurance than most first time drivers his age because he had held his licence for so long.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

I have no sympathy for Provisional Licence holders who wait years before they do the test and then complain the county councils are "creaming it". It's €15 ffs hardly extortionate and I would think barely covers the administrative cost of producing the licence in the first place.

You're very lucky to be allowed stay on the road indefinitely with a provisional and not even have to apply for a test for 5 years in this country. Its different in other countries.

You complain about having to pay €15 yet you are p!ssing away hundreds of euro extra on insurance every year driving with a provisional rather than a full licence.
    What he said.

MrP

Linoge wrote:
    The reason that I haven't done the test before is that I previously I had only been the owner of a license, not a car. I never stepped into a car until I got my 3rd license.

And that is totally besides the point. The point is wait time for a test > duration of a licence.

What should have been done, what I did, if I was back on a prov license, what the plan is etc is of no absolutely no importance. I think that everyone should study hard for the Leaving Cert, do a degree and get a good job. I'm not exagerating, that is just as similar a conclusion as Litcagral and MrP are coming to.

L- I never labeled as a "money racket" (don't know why it was quoted:confused: ) I did say that CC are creaming it ie: they are not complaining as they are doing well from it. The administration cost? It costs E5 to replace a lost licence, how much more administration do you think is needed to renew an existing licence?

What he said:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What do you want people to say? Yes it is terrible that you have to wait so long for a test. There, I said it. Happy?

MrP

Advertisement