Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Rap/Hip Hop gig you ever been to?

Options
  • 14-05-2006 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Just wondering who people saw live and how good they were. Dont just mention your Favourate but any good gigs you've been to. Here or elsewhere.

I saw the Wu tang at Oxegen 04 that was class, not a huge fan of the Wu tang but their great live.

Snoop was Amazing at the point last year. Good at Oxegen but better at the point, maybe the fact that I was 10 rows from the front has something to do with it :D

I Loved Eminem's anger Management tour in 03, The Eminem Show with the carosel and the circus theme he had as in the Sing for the monent video was probably my Fav, Intimate small venue gigs are good, but there just something overwheming about Huge Stages and massive pyrotechnics that get the blood going, when you pay a lot for a concert its nice to see something like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Xzibit at the Anger Management tour 03 was the highlight for me. Put on a better pure performance than Eminem in my opinion.

It was just a pity they put him on first and the majority of the crowd didn't even know him back then. The fact people called it the Eminem concert said it all really. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

De La Soule at Electric Picnic 2005 was very good. Can you kick, Yes we can...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

That's a Tribe song. ;)

Best for me was probably The Roots in the Olympia last year. Amazing concert. Their music translates really well to live performance, and is enhanced because they are a full band.

Jurassic 5 in Vicar St., also last year, would probably be my secound favourite. Pure energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

yes indeed i think thegills is a little confused bout their tribe/de la tracks.

The roots in the Olympia was a great gig, i loved it. that was a proper hip-hop gig, but then again, a group that play their own instruments are bound to translate across to live music well.

The fugees at the point was also great, just because i was it was my 1st hiphop gig and there was a real buzz in the place.

Best for atmosphere was probably Rahzel in the redbox though, mark b and blade got the crowd going and when Rahzel came on he just blew everyone away

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Got to see DJ Shadow's first ever gig in Sacramento - he had gone to college in UC Davis down the road - in a small place called Bojangles. Absolutely brilliant. Blackalicious was the main support act, then he came on and then he DJed for Quannum - so there was around 5 Mcs and him. Amazing gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭BOHS

First ever rap gig was Coolio back in 96 in the Point
    followed by Puff Daddy :o
    then the Anger Management Tour and finally Snoop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ciaran13

omg xzibit was fukn unreal at the eminem concert def better than eminem and i dont even particularly like x.
    alcoholic is best live song i've heard to date and i've seen a lot of bands play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Ooh tough one.
    Run DMC in Red Box was great. To see those legends was great.

Supernatural & Noize in The Village was great craic. Such a show man.

Blackalicious, both times I've seen them. Never fail to entertain.

Dilated Peoples in Crawdaddy. I was just expecting a head nod session but the energy they had was unreal. Super down to earth chaps they are too.

J5 at Electric Picnic. It's J5, what more needs to be said. See above comment about being down to earth chaps. On a side note Chali 2na has to be one of the soundest people I've met in my life...ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

X to the Z is the best performance i've seen live. The last Kanye West concert is the best tho. If it was x on his own it would've got my vote but because he was supporting it doesnt count in my books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

ciaran13 wrote:
    omg xzibit was fukn unreal at the eminem concert def better than eminem and i dont even particularly like x.
    alcoholic is best live song i've heard to date and i've seen a lot of bands play

yes yes yes.you are right he was savage.he made the day.he was amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BRM

Common in spirit - best irish hip hop gig I ever went to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dizel

when did Run dmc play red Box, must have been the mid 80s?
    best Gigs id say were ;

Gangstarr-tivoli 94
    beastie boys -tivoli 94
    pe- vicar st. 04
    common- Spirit 05
    j5- vicar st.05
    ice cube- dalymount sunstroke 94
    snoop/game- 05 point
    nas- 05 point
    cypress hill -feile 94

worst gigs-
    rhazel-village 05
    kook keith- village 05
    raekwon -red box o4 (idiot could'nt remember his own raps)

dizel wrote:
    ice cube- dalymount sunstroke 94

What was Cube like? Would love to have seen him in his prime.

Run DMC played about 3-4 years ago in Red Box.

This was cube before he went hollywood, still in 'Predator' mode, I remember especially 'N*gga u love to hate' and 'No Vaseline' were crazy!!!
    He did 'Wicked' and anthony keides and flea from RHCP who were headlining that day came onstage bouncing around like lunatics, place went mad!!!

Saw run dmc about 8 years ago in the point when they played on the same bill as fun lovin criminal s and paul weller, ...superb!!!

cant believe i missed them when they came back, must have been just before jmj was killed?

Yeah Flea & Anthony Kedis were in the video for Wicked. Always thought that a bit strange, they were in the middle of LA tearing the place apart after the riots.

I would have loved to have been there when he dropped Wicked. Predator was the last good album he dropped. Lethal Injection would probably be in my Top Ten albums I have to say.

I honestly can't remember the year they played but wouldn't have been too long before JMJ was killed. Saying that it could have been a year or so. It's mad seeing these guys you've watched on TV for years though. Great night.

check his new track at rolling stone.com

http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/video/10029088/why_we_thugs

Produced by Scott storch sounds like some vintage Cube to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

yeah Run DMC was only a couple of years ago, i remember seeing the posters for it, but wasn't able to make it at the time. A mate went and said it was unbelievable.

I'd say gangstarr was a pretty sweet gig too. would have loved to make it to that one.

Say Masta Ace, with support from Punch & Words a couple of years ago in the pod, that was a sweet gig, had a very intimate feel to it!Probably because the place wasn't jammed to the roof.

Also Grandmaster Flash, the 1st time he came (to my knowledge) was pretty quality stuff. He really knew how to work the crowd into a frenzy (when he was about to drop "Jump Around" and then cut the music completely stands out in my mind. The crowd started going mental, and then a couple of seconds later the music kicked in and all hell broke loose, excellent night)

masta ace played?!!! damn missed that too, was a big fan of that 'slaughtahouse album'
    I remember that Flash gig was on and I didnt bother goin, shame on me!

hip hop gigs can be a hit and miss affair though, lot of cats are very lazy live and dont play the full song or play a remixed version of it, others dont play enuff of the classics, the Pharcyde recently only did a few joints of the 'Bizarre ride' album at the village, kool keith only did 2 ultramagnetic mcs songs.
    (the stones still do 'SATISFACTION' every nite)
    worst of all lotta mc's dont know Ireland aint in the UK and rightly get booed out of it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

Xzibit then cypress hill at anger management 03! they stole the whole show from eninem and d12. X really got the crowd going by saying stuff like who here likes to drink and i bet i can drink more than ye! and all that kinda stuff, really gets the irish crowd going. i remember i felt like shedding tears of emotion as cypress hill were playing, they played some great favorites like insane in the membrane and i wanna get high! and rap/rock superstar and the likes, yah great pyrotechics and effects! best day of my life til this day!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

dizel wrote:
    hip hop gigs can be a hit and miss affair though

I find it can be as much as problem with the crowd. Saw GZA when he was in the Redbox and the crowd was shíte and ruined the gig really. Too cool to get involved and the atmosphere was so flat.

Dilated Peoples as mentioned was the exact opposite that was crazy. The crowd really got into it. Same with J5 in Vicar St and Abs, Format and D-Sisive in Crawdaddy. The crowd really got into those gigs. The Redbox is probably just a shít venue. Not a big fan of it.

• Advertisement

Big problem with hip hop gigs as Makaveli said is the crowd. Especially in Dublin. From doing gigs around the country I've noticed it's not as much a problem in other places.

I think Dublin is spoiled with gigs and the "i'm too cool for skool" attitude prevails. You'll always get those who will be hard fought to do more than nod the head now and again.

I heard that Gza gig was atrocious, some dude spat on him or something. ****in' scumbags.

That Dilated gig sure was a banger alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

dizel wrote:

worst gigs-
    rhazel-village 05
    kook keith- village 05
    raekwon -red box o4 (idiot could'nt remember his own raps)

kool keith in the village was hilarious tho, givin the audience **** at the end for not buying all his other records. more of a comedy gig...A1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭franglan

Was ANYONE AT THE NAS, DMX OR GAME CONCERTS LAST YEAR? OR THE INFAMOUSLY **** G-UNIT CONCERTS.

yeah was at the gza gig, it was ****, the crowd were far from great but gza didnt really bother to try to win them over. Redbox is a **** venue and so is the Village. Heard Ice T was amazing at crawdaddy a year ago, anyone there?

Another gripe about hip hop gigs is stopping the show and bringing the ladies on stage to dance, this goes on for about 20 mins, what the fu*k, play music dammit!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Ay Cee wrote:
    Big problem with hip hop gigs as Makaveli said is the crowd. Especially in Dublin. From doing gigs around the country I've noticed it's not as much a problem in other places.

I think Dublin is spoiled with gigs and the "i'm too cool for skool" attitude prevails. You'll always get those who will be hard fought to do more than nod the head now and again.

QUOTE]

Agreed. Whats the point? I was always of the opinion that a gig should be where enjoyment is apramount and you should be obliged to act like a complete idiots. "Cool Cats" are w******s

was at Nas at the point, place was less than half full (Should have been Vicar st.) He is an amazing live mc though and did all his classics, superb gig!
    Wouldnt go to a G-unit gig, too many scangers there that wouldnt know their EPMDs from their Big Daddy Kane's!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭BOHS

I had tickets for the DMX gigs and it cancelled the 2 ones i was going to see

Ice T was a great gig alright. Had the crowd eating out of his hand. Stuff like "Ya'll Irish were the niggerz in the States before us" etc had the place going mad.

I enjoyed the gig so much when I met him backstage it ruined it all. He was very arrogant. Really took the shine off the night I have to say :( I know to him I'm just someone else backstage. But as Guru said when dealing with some pure muppets backstage "I have to remember these are the people who put me where I am, costs nothing to try and be friendly".

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭PG4000

I've been to quite a few concerts. I liked Eminems one best because it was my first concert and i ended up getting in the front pit. The Nas one was great as well because he is my favourite rapper and would have never thought that he'd do a concert over here. I was right up the front for that as well. DMX was great even if it took him about an hour and a half to come out after the support act but he was real energetic on stage. Worst concert i have been to would probably be the first Kanye concert beacuse he was only on stage for 45 damn minutes. The one in February was amazing though... 2 hours on stage and a proper entertaining show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭franglan

Yes, Nas Should Of Being In Vicar Street, I Went To The G Unit Concert And Your Right About The Scangers, Litterly Having A Go At You Because Your Wearing An American Football Jersey Or A Jersey Other Than A Celtic Jersey.. Glasgow That Is. I Went For Mobb Deep And They Porformed Two Songs, Which Of Course No One Knew,

Advertisement