Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finish for white oak?

Options
  • 14-05-2006 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

My sister wants to know what would be a good finish for white oak. She is building a house at the moment and the doors(interior) will be made from white oak, she wants them to be slightly dark. So any ideas? Btw she doesn't want to put more than two coats on them because it would be too much work and something quick drying would be preferable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Hi

Well she could use varnish or lacquer, take advice from seller about levels of thinning required if brush applied etc... only choice to be made is gloss level from 0% (satin) to 100% (wet looking gloss) as far as I know...

If she wants to introduce colour she can use a tinted lacquer, this will be slightly more difficult as sanding between coats is harder as you don't want to reveal the raw timber at the edges etc etc...

Hope this helps
    Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭rebellad

Sorry to be dragging this up again but had a look and can't find anything else on white oak doors. I have a prefinished white oak door frame and architrave but my door is unfinished. Would anyone know what would be the best way(and easiest :-)) to get the doors to match the architrave and door frames, is it a case of varnishing them????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Get them sprayed with AC Laquer, would be the easiest and brush free method, dearer thou.

Advertisement