Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new indie/alt club night?

Options
  • 14-05-2006 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

iv djed occasionally at an indie club night in galway and started thinking of setting up something similar in dublin on a monthly basis, as i think there's definitely a gap that's not being filled. i know there is doyles and whelans but it always seems a bit repetitive. my idea was essentially one night a month with 3 or 4 different djs doing one hour sets of anything broadly indie/alternative/electronica/post-rock/anything really with an emphasis on wilfully obscure/left of centre stuff with a few big hits thrown in (after all ye can't beat a bit of franz at times ;)) can anyone out there think of any suitable venues in dublin city centre , or any other advice at all, as im pretty new to all this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I agreed completly until the franz thing
    dublin is **** for alternative music
    Antics is suposed to be good but no longer being a student bum I cant go drinking on wendsdays anymore.

Also you can never play to much gang of four

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

gang of four indeed - and josef k's sorry for laughing is one of the best songs for dancing to in the world i reckon :) what i meant more was that i wanted there to be a great variety in what was played with several different djs each night and the line up would change each month. so Dja might play a v electronica geared set with dj being having a completely different slant on things.

is antics the one at crawdaddy, what kind of stuff do they play? i wouldnt want to start up a replica of sth else!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'd be interested in helping out. Played a fair few places in Dublin myself and off the top of my head maybe try isaac butts, dame lane and eamonn dorans.
    Pm me and we'll have a chat if you're interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

What night were you thinking of having it on?

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    What night were you thinking of having it on?

From experience I think thurs-sun are the best days but usually the hardest to get from a venue or promoter.

• Advertisement

sweetie wrote:
    From experience I think thurs-sun are the best days but usually the hardest to get from a venue or promoter.

Friday nights would be good.
    I'd be on for playing at something like this if it were Friday or Saturday. I've done various bits and pieces (DJing / radio) over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'd also be interested. I've done DJing and radio work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Antics and bottletop too though bottletop is a bit showey offey!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ilovehoovering

is antics the one at crawdaddy, what kind of stuff do they play? i wouldnt want to start up a replica of sth else!

the Antics playlist is arcticmonkeys/strokes/libertines/arcade fire/clapyrhands etc... the playlist of your regular alternative radio show i guess.

i'd love somewhere that played a mixture of Skinny Wolves type music + indiepop.

i was thinking a thurs night tbh as i figure getting somewhere on a friday night would be expensive maybe??

• Advertisement

Would be more expensive but I'd say you'd get a bigger crowd than Thursday nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Play me post-rock and I shall attend.

PiE wrote:
    Play me post-rock and I shall attend.

What about post cock rock?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

I like post-punk emo rap-rock we're very misunderstood. :D

Actually it'd be great if this got off the ground. Variety is always good, especially in specialty music. too many "alternative" yet exactly the same nights around town.

BTW I like your site ecclectic honey. I found it a few years back by accident (lookin for a C4Orchestra site), back when yee had the animated bee thing on the front page. Some great reviews. Kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I only like pre-rock punk...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

...but I like hip-hop. Especially Jurassic (5).

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

I've been wanting to do something like this for ages but don't know many people who would have the right contacts... Antics is very NME Chart, same as all the other places. Helter Shelter used to be great... Friday and saturday night you will get a crowd, there is definitely a void to be filled... I would play any and all of the following if allwed into a dj booth:

Arcade Fire, Art Brut, The Beta Band, Blondie, Blur, Boo Radleys, British Sea Power, BRMC, The Cure, Dandy Warhols, Death In Vegas, Echo & The Bunnymen, Elastica, Flaming Lips, The Hives (trust me, i know a great dancing track!), Iggy Pop, Jesus & Mary Chain, Ladytron (if the audience is there...), Madness, Manics, Muse, New Order, Nick Cave, Pulp, (Old) Snow Patrol, Stars, The Stunning, Suede, Supergrass, Super Furry Animals, The Tears, The Undertones, The Walls, The Who....

And thats the ones i can think of off the top of my head. If that interests you and you get a night together PM me. I should say, though, that i don't have DJ experience. I also know someone who could help me out and he'd play (or give me to play) lots of Smiths/Morrissey type stuff...

uh oh, just shot yourself in the foot. Thats the whelans playlist you just posted

hmm indeed altho ladytron would be allowed :p still trying to find a suitable venyoo.... (grrr)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

blu_sonic wrote:
    uh oh, just shot yourself in the foot. Thats the whelans playlist you just posted

nah it didnt include any hard-fi

• Advertisement

Arcade Fire, Art Brut, The Beta Band, Blondie, Blur, Boo Radleys, British Sea Power, BRMC, The Cure, Dandy Warhols, Death In Vegas, Echo & The Bunnymen, Elastica, Flaming Lips, The Hives (trust me, i know a great dancing track!), Iggy Pop, Jesus & Mary Chain, Ladytron (if the audience is there...), Madness, Manics, Muse, New Order, Nick Cave, Pulp, (Old) Snow Patrol, Stars, The Stunning, Suede, Supergrass, Super Furry Animals, The Tears, The Undertones, The Walls, The Who....

And thats the ones i can think of off the top of my head. If that interests you and you get a night together PM me. I should say, though, that i don't have DJ experience. I also know someone who could help me out and he'd play (or give me to play) lots of Smiths/Morrissey type stuff...

And also postal service, cut copy, boy least likely to, rapture, dfa stuff/lcd soundsystem, b&s, chalets, andrew bird, bellx1, hidden cameras, bobby conn, !!!, chromeo, delakota, ESG, frank and walters, helen love, annie, leila, mylo, nada surf, lofi allstars, party of one, notwist, pavement, wilco, spoon, roots, sleepy jackson, simple kid, sons of silence, we are scientists, whale,

blu_sonic wrote:

It is in its hole the whelans playlist! At least half to 60% of that i've never heard in there, a lot of the rest were one-offs...

i likr your playlist trust me the vast majority of it gets played in there, and i love it, I'm a fan of whelans, I love flailing about to the whailing of MR. Morrissey while my quiff is thrown into tatters but regardless I will go to your "Indie" night but trust me when I say its all been played in Whelans.

Try: Sack. Nina Hynes. The Voyeurs. Whipping Boy. Joy Division. Neil Young. Raymonde. Magazine. Small Faces. Kinks. Any Moz pre Quarry, Pink Foyd, Pugwash, Pony Club, Patti Smith, HamSandwich, mercury Rev, Suede, Violent Femmes, They Miht Be Giants.

Just sudgestions of stuff I've rearly heard out. But like I said "THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR SETLIST" 2 thumbs up

well, i have suede on it. mercury rev and pink floyd i considered but no tracks that get people dancing spring to mind except a mercury rev b-side called ragtag but that would just be taking the piss! i dont go to whelans much because i havent much time for a lot of the people that hang out there, to be honest... i want a place with cool people that stays up-to-date but not in an NME Chart way! Now, i've not even picked up that rag in ages but the only emerging talents worth anything at the moment seem to be Emm Gryner and Richard Hawley... Do they get much coverage there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 CreativeA

Hi all ..
    let me know when you've all stopped arguing and agreed a venue and night. Like the playlists.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

The playlist might be a bit "whelans", but I for one can't stand that grotty dump so I'd be well interested in going to your club night.

Any developments on this EclecticHoney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Get nigglebubbuth to play Yo la Tengo/Galaxie 500/Sugar/My Bloody Valentine/Steeleye Span/that kind of stuff and I'll be there.

Alternatively, play non-stop Pentangle and Fairport Convention

still on the venue hunt i'm afriad :( gonna try asking in doran's some time this week if work pressures permit! will let you know if i get anything sorted. was also thinking wax on sth william street might be up for it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

Theres a new place on Dame St. "Rogue". Well it's new to me :D. I think it's where the backlash DJ's are playin' now. You could check that out as a possibility.

Advertisement