Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What video memory do i have?

Options
  • 14-05-2006 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

i have just bought a new dell inspiron 6400.

I was checking to make sure the spec is what i ordered off the web (happened before and they sent wrong spec)

so i was looking to ensure the correct video card upgrade was installed.
    i upgraded from a standard intel to the 128mb ATI x1300.

Now when i look in the bios its says that the video accelorator is the ati x1300 but says video memory is 64mb.

so back to windows and i go to my display adapter settings.
    the fancy ATI console type thingy shows me the information and it says i have 256mb memory.....

so which is right? obviously its not what i ordered but if its the 256mb i'll be happy but if its the 64mb one it'll be going back.....

i guess the 64mb reading in the bios might still refer to the onboard shared graphics and the ati console would be more accurate

which do you reckon is right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

type "dxdiag" into the START RUN box, click on Display tab, whatever amount is in there is what the pc will use.

Some ATIs use some of the system ram, to play most games you will need 1gb + ram in the laptop.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Sneaky_Russian

thanks for the quick reply......

yeah i check that and it seems to be using 256mb......

the laptop has 1gb of RAM but i don't intend to be using it for games that much.

having said that i am playing lotr: battle for middle earth II (demo) at the moment and it's running nice and smooth.

Advertisement