Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howling Bells

Options
  • 14-05-2006 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

Here is another band that Rollo recommends. The Howling Bells have a self titled album on the way. A debut as far as i can tell. I only got a listen to them for the first time and i'm fairly impressed. Can't quite put my finger on their style as generally i don't like bands fronted by female singers. Beth Orten is the only singer i can think of that sounds remotely like the Howling Bells.

Here is a review:
    If your only previous experience of Australian music was Rolf Harris and Jet, prepare to be pleasantly surprised. Howling Bells have crafted a moody and sophisticated debut, turning out twelve impeccable slices of stirring folk-rock. And not a beard in sight.

On first listen, you might find Howling Bells a rather frustrating prospect, there are no immediate pop songs, the melodies are sometimes buried in the mix, but if you stick with it, it is well worth the effort. It is, in this respect, very much like R.E.M’s Murmur album, a slow-burning classic, and there is no reason why this album cannot gain the same kind of status.

http://www.howlingbells.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

sounds interesting
    stateing that you dont sound like jet is a perfect way to get my favour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

they played Bud Rising recently and for me were one of the highlights of that series of gigs. Its not easy being sandwiched between the Mighty Stef and Isobel Campbell, but they coped more than admirably.

Hard to categorise them alright. Rock with a country edge would be the best I could do.

And as for their female singer......Natalie Imbruglia eat your heart out.....the best looking rock chick since.........well ever maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

elduggo wrote:
    And as for their female singer......Natalie Imbruglia eat your heart out.....the best looking rock chick since.........well ever maybe.

impossible! nobody is a touch on my Natalie....noboddddyyyy!

Advertisement