Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Ultra portable laptop ??

Options
  • 12-05-2006 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about buying a laptop and like the idea of an ultra portable one. I have a budget of €1300 max.

Can anyone suggest anything ?

Thanks
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

What size screen? less than 12"? you would probably have to go second hand to get something for less than €1300, maybe a Sony TR or TX or the Fujitsu P series?

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

What size screen? less than 12"? you would probably have to go second hand to get something for less than €1300, maybe a Sony TR or TX or the Fujitsu P series?

S.

Yep, less that 12".

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ciaranr

Every now and then Aldi have a 10.8 inch machine for E1099.99 99 99. I know, Aldi, you're thinking canned tuna and garden trowels but from what I hear their Medion line of laptops and desktop PCs, while lacking the design subtleties of Sony or Acer, pack a lot of gear and peripherals for a very low price.

The last time this particular notebook was up, it had a reasonable processor and RAM, TV tuner card, optical mouse, DVD-RW drive, laptop bag and a tonne of software bundled.

Just a thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Any links to that ALDI laptop?

I got a great deal on a Sony TR1MP (10" sony with 60GB/1GHZ/768MB) on ebay, the sucker put it up under the wrong code and only one other guy bid on it, the only thing I needed to do was upgrade the wifi from B to G (another €30 off ebay).

They are not on there much but when they are decent spec, they can go for over €1000........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭kirving

I saw a very small sony laptop in Dixons, for 1299 or 1399 recently. Dont know the name of it but it was very small 11" screen I think, maybe even 10". There was also another similar looking version for about 2.5 grand in the sony shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I saw a very small sony laptop in Dixons, for 1299 or 1399 recently. Dont know the name of it but it was very small 11" screen I think, maybe even 10". There was also another similar looking version for about 2.5 grand in the sony shop.

Thats a Philips and its 1299. And yes it is similar spec to Sony ones that sell for 1000 more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Go for a Toshiba Portege and you will have a 3 year warranty which is very good value

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ciaranr

It's been a while since it was on sale, they would have pulled the page by now but check in the leaflet in the papers!

Have you thought about an Apple? The 12" iBook would be in your price range, it's got approx 5 hours battery life doing day-to-day tasks and wieghs 2.6kg. Not the iBook range are soon to be replaced by the new Intel MacBooks, rumoured to have a 13.3 inch widescreen, (not quite ultraportable). Apple dealers may be in a rush to get rid of iBook stock.

Advertisement