Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toshiba vs Acer - which would you choose

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Have been using Acer for years! Never had a need for chasing warranties. I added ram to two different machines. Just brought the machines to the shop, opened up the bay and let the seller put it in. Rebooted and all was fine so I paid...

I would prefer a machine that is reliable to a piece of crap that comes with a great warranty. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Hi Heinrich,

Apologies for taking the thread off topic for a post or two but just wanted to thank you again for the Mac Classic. She's running smoothly and I'm in the process of getting a scsi to ethernet connector so i can get her on the Net. She's become quite the little project. :D

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

If you were buying an expensive laptop i would recommend ACER

But if its just for email and web.

A dell inspiron 1300 would be great, they are only €399-€499 ( the price fluctuates a bit)

They have 56k modem, LAN, WIFI.

And the other specs depend on the offer, but i have one and a lot of people here have one, and they are great.

DO NOT BUY MORE RAM FROM DELL!!!!!!!

You can get 512mb DDR2 on komplett for €50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Can you fit ram into a dell laptop without invalidating the warranty? is it a major operation?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Tosh user here and I would recommend them wholeheartedly. This (Sat P30) is my second one and have had no major issues. Upgraded RAM in them both, its a doddle. The Wireless Lan reception on this lappy is excellent as well, beats the IBM Thinkpad I have from work hands down.

As regards Acer they are fine as long as you don't have to use their support. I have heard too many horror stories first hand from people who have had to try and get support on them.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I have dealt with ACER support (RMA) and it was very fast.

Anyway, installing ram in most laptops is easy, open a door, put in the stick (it only fits one way:D )

And it wont invalidate your warranty

Advertisement