Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charleville Castle Investigation - 3rd June 2006

Options
  • 12-05-2006 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Ok people looks like we're having another one. This one is being done by myself and Stevenmu.

It will be 10 people and so far we have:

1) 6th
    2) Stevenmu
    3) Grimes
    4) Fudgemonkey

so gotta fill the places

5) ??
    6) ??
    7) ??
    8) ??
    9) ??
    10) ??

Its gonna be €40 a head.

Questions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Oh and if people could let me know if they can definately go its a plus, if you say i might be able to make it and someone says they can definately make they get the place.

hate to be a d*ck but its only 3 weeks away.

Its a bankholiday weekend so keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Great to see you are still organising them especially after the antics last time. Hope it all goes well for you guys.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

gillo wrote:
    Great to see you are still organising them especially after the antics last time. Hope it all goes well for you guys.

Paul

What can I say? We're persistant... lol

Besides, there's always going to be some form of trouble or issue at an investigation... we just have to deal with it as it comes along. If people gave up after they encountered an issue in this thing, then no one would be doing investigations!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Ohhh cant wait. I even went out and bought a flask so we can have coffee all night. Oh yeah *points at head* not just a hat rack

Grimes wrote:
    Ohhh cant wait. I even went out and bought a flask so we can have coffee all night. Oh yeah *points at head* not just a hat rack

Damn, I was hoping to have somewhere to put my hat next time I was over. :(

Seriously, good thinking Batman. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

What antics last time? What did i miss?
    Also with the ammount of investigations there has anything actually been found? The 2 at charleville i was at yielded nothing but a funny liar pretending to be posessed (witchhunter finton) and i saw something that looked like it moved through a wall... possibly a shadow but that made me freeze for a few seconds :D

Oh yes by the way you can probably count myself and my wife in (Hilary and Reuben) Some of you might remember us.
    We now only live 15 - 20 mins away in Rochfortbridge!

Anything i need to know? We would be down a little later as my wife works saturday but since it does not start till dark anyway it should be grand.

Right Ill completly mooch off other people's work and post up some pictures that are in other threads and on other websites just so you know what HAS been seen at previous investigations at Charleville

This is One of My Own in the Tower

One Of Donal's from Ghostpersonals

Mine of the Dungeon

Marks tasty stairs pic

saw all those pics and more after i posted :D the stairs one is cool as is your own tower.
    I have a question.. is Camden tower at Charleville? Never heard of it nor saw it there yet it is posted as a pic with the charleville pics...

Saruman wrote:
    I have a question.. is Camden tower at Charleville? Never heard of it nor saw it there yet it is posted as a pic with the charleville pics...

Woo ! Mark might go mad cause this is way off topic but seeing as it was brought up everyone should read this

Located at the edge of a thick wood to the east of the castle is the four story Camden Tower. Its later than I had hoped with there being evidence of recessed cupboards and a gun cupboard on the first floor. The sheds around the back appear to be kennels as this was the residence of the game keeper. The large room to the far side of the tower was once his kitchen . IT also doubled up as a hunting lodge. It was concived during the 1780s and is first shown on the 1786 map which laid out the plans for the demesne thus predating the castle by around 12-15 years therefore making it the most unusual and oldest prospect tower in Ireland. Id be guessing a hunting lodge that was then turned into the gamekeepers house after the construction of Charleville ?

*PROSPECT TOWER. A tower built on a prominent part of an estate to provide panoramic views of the surrounding countryside
    *Grimes - your local friendly neighbourhood archaeologist :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I'd like to go, would be able to make it.

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote:
    What antics last time? What did i miss?
    Also with the ammount of investigations there has anything actually been found? The 2 at charleville i was at yielded nothing but a funny liar pretending to be posessed (witchhunter finton) and i saw something that looked like it moved through a wall... possibly a shadow but that made me freeze for a few seconds :D

Witch hunter, eh? 'Tis a wonder I'm not burnt at the stake yet then, heh. Regarding the antics, that case is officially closed, though there's a thread on it somewhere. There have been quite a few interesting experiences at the castle though you shouldn't go in expecting stuff to happen... some of the best experiences happen that way.
    Oh yes by the way you can probably count myself and my wife in (Hilary and Reuben) Some of you might remember us.
    We now only live 15 - 20 mins away in Rochfortbridge!

Actually, I'd prolly be the only one to remember you as everyone else are newbies relatively speaking, and I'm not going, so feel lucky. :p
    Anything i need to know? We would be down a little later as my wife works saturday but since it does not start till dark anyway it should be grand.

Warm clothes are a must. Keep in mind that the fee for the night is 40 euro per person, even if it has been mentioned before, it warrants mentioning again.

Grimes wrote:
    Woo ! Mark might go mad cause this is way off topic but seeing as it was brought up everyone should read this

Located at the edge of a thick wood to the east of the castle is the four story Camden Tower. Its later than I had hoped with there being evidence of recessed cupboards and a gun cupboard on the first floor. The sheds around the back appear to be kennels as this was the residence of the game keeper. The large room to the far side of the tower was once his kitchen . IT also doubled up as a hunting lodge. It was concived during the 1780s and is first shown on the 1786 map which laid out the plans for the demesne thus predating the castle by around 12-15 years therefore making it the most unusual and oldest prospect tower in Ireland. Id be guessing a hunting lodge that was then turned into the gamekeepers house after the construction of Charleville ?

*PROSPECT TOWER. A tower built on a prominent part of an estate to provide panoramic views of the surrounding countryside
    *Grimes - your local friendly neighbourhood archaeologist :)

Good stuff... I don't care if it was off-topic or not, lol... it's nice to learn something knew about the demesne. :D

Besides the "basment" area predates the castle as well. It was much bigger than it used to be, but it's been filled in now, or so I heard anyway.

Most posts above could well have gone into other threads, this one is about a trip planned for June 3rd - now anyone who may be interested has to dig tru sh*t to get info.

Saruman wrote:
    Oh yes by the way you can probably count myself and my wife in (Hilary and Reuben)............We would be down a little later as my wife works saturday but since it does not start till dark anyway it should be grand.

So when do you think you would know if you can go as I need to get names down on paper. We've had people not be able to make it in the past and sometimes other people miss out on the chance?

And what time would you think you would be down at? I think myself and stevenmu may have something planned for before it gets dark.

Im certain we can come yes! Nothing else planned.
    As for time.. well wife finished work at 6:30 so be about 8 to 8:30 by the time we get there.

sorry about the off topic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭nohshow

Hope you'll be patient with a newbie, but what investigation is going on and why? Is this serious or just another excuse for a gang of people to hang out together and get drunk? I'm easy either way, but I'd like to know what to pack.

Hi nohshow, easiest thing to do is have a look at threads like:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054918844

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054891969.

Its casual but in no way is it a drinks and laugh occassion. You'll get the idea from the above threads.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's a pretty serious affair, alcohol and/or any other mind-altering substances are absolutely not allowed.

If you have a look at some of the other Charleville related threads on the forum you should get a good idea of what it's all about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

I won't be going 6th tho I might know of someone who would be interested, but unless she gets in touch with me over the next week I'll call it a miss.

You can pass my details on if you like. Would be nice to extend my reach as it were. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

will do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Count me in, been wanting to try one for ages.

6th, I'll pm details and one or two questions.

Excellent Gillo you were in on this idea since i started so will be good to have you along.

Pay attention people Gillo here turned up to a Greet&Grub™ and now he gets to stay in a Haunted Castle!

6th wrote:
    Pay attention people Gillo here turned up to a Greet&Grub™ and now he gets to stay in a Haunted Castle!

Some of us attended one and ended up organising the investigations. ;)

PS: I know you're not gonna be able to do it this time around, but I think we should try to get baseline EMF/temperature readings for each room for the next investigation, if you can't do so on this one... even if you can get one or the other, it's a good start.

Edit: I think at least weather/ambient conditions and moon phase should be taken into account this time...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I would be interested in going, Wouldnt be able to make this one, but mabey one in the future, May i ask what is the 40 quid paying for?

O yea and can someone post that vid of that guy pretending to be possesed online seems like itd be a funny thing to watch, Seriously what the hell was he thinking?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

In Charleville's case, the money goes to the castle to contribute towards it's ongoing restoration. You can read more about the castle at http://www.charlevillecastle.com/

Patricide wrote:
    I would be interested in going, Wouldnt be able to make this one, but mabey one in the future, May i ask what is the 40 quid paying for?

There should be one in August that I'm organising, and like Steven said, the 40 quid will be going towards the castle's restoration.

As any said the €40 is for the castle, its a registered charity and needs all the help it can get. We have a good reputation with them and are very lucky toi get in there. We (the organisers) do not charge for arranging it and i'm sure anyone who's gone can agree €40 is not alot for the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I may have someone else to come along... a far more competent camera man than I actually...

Will there be a Greet & Grub in the week running up to this one? I'm out of the country until the 29th.

Hmm... there's a plan... maybe we should arrange a Greet & Grub the week before each investigation? It means that we get to know most, if not all of the people we would investigate with?

• Advertisement

Actually i'm not sure how easy it would be to have a Greet&Grub™ this time around with it being 2 weeks away. I know i'm stuck for time and 4 of the 10 people going are from outside dublin.

There is one space left monkeyfudge so how sure are you this guy can come along?

Advertisement