Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDip in Psych

• 12-05-2006 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hey people,

Two questions...

One:
    I'm studying for a BA in Philosophy at the moment, and I'm thinking about doing the HDip in Psychology afterwards. I've been reading up on the requirements for applicants, and it says your primary degree must be from a university (ie, NUI). My college (Milltown Institute) has just become a recognised college of the NUI, and they'll be accrediting the degrees for the students that started the year after me, but my degree is technically going to be accredited by HETAC.
    How strict do ya think they are on this? If it's a hard and set rule then that throws my plans out of the window...

Two:
    If I were to pursue a HDip (or conversion course) in the UK, would it be recognised by the PSI? Most conversion courses in the UK seem to be one year, while in Ireland they're all two year courses...if I completed a conversion course in the UK, what are the chances that I could do further postgrad study in Ireland?

Any and all info is muchly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Brian33 wrote:
    Hey people,

Two questions...

One:
    I'm studying for a BA in Philosophy at the moment, and I'm thinking about doing the HDip in Psychology afterwards. I've been reading up on the requirements for applicants, and it says your primary degree must be from a university (ie, NUI). My college (Milltown Institute) has just become a recognised college of the NUI, and they'll be accrediting the degrees for the students that started the year after me, but my degree is technically going to be accredited by HETAC.
    How strict do ya think they are on this? If it's a hard and set rule then that throws my plans out of the window...

Two:
    If I were to pursue a HDip (or conversion course) in the UK, would it be recognised by the PSI? Most conversion courses in the UK seem to be one year, while in Ireland they're all two year courses...if I completed a conversion course in the UK, what are the chances that I could do further postgrad study in Ireland?

Any and all info is muchly appreciated!

Im not sure on question one but I will try and answer your second question. The H.Dip (Conversion) in Psychology is afaik for students who studied some psychology as part of their degree (e.g an arts degree with psychology/philosophy in my case). That H.Dip usually takes a year to complete because the students already have a background in Psychology. There are also other H.Dips for Graduates with no background in Psychology and those courses usually take 2 years to complete. Most Diplomas in the UK will be recognised by the PSI as usually those Diplomas will make you eligible for membership of the BPS which is in effect the same thing. The Open University afaik do Psychology from an introduction level right up to Masters level. Definetely worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Eoghan-psych

Brian33 wrote:
    If I were to pursue a HDip (or conversion course) in the UK, would it be recognised by the PSI?

So long as it's BPS accredited, yes [pretty much by definition they are - they are designed that way]. If it's not, I think the PSI has a qualifying exam which gives the same standing [that's only an assumption based on the fact the BPS have an exam for unaccredited graduates].
    Brian33 wrote:
    Most conversion courses in the UK seem to be one year, while in Ireland they're all two year courses...if I completed a conversion course in the UK, what are the chances that I could do further postgrad study in Ireland?

Good, so long as you can win a place - but that goes without saying. As for the length of the courses - I'm not sure why that is, or even if there is any reason for it. The PSI should know - check out their website and send them an email, see if there is any actual difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Brian33

Hey fellas,

Thanks for the quick replies. I've tried to get in touch with some of the universities re question one...but they're slower to repond than you were! UCD said maybe...no-one else has responded yet...

Mailed the PSI re question two...still waiting on a response there too. I'll let ya's know if I hear anything this week.

Thanks,
    ~B

Advertisement