Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to spain,..work options?

Options
  • 11-05-2006 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I really want to move to spain at some stage in the next two years.
    I am learning spanish at the moment,.so its very pigeon at the moment,..my girlfriend is spanish (so thats an advantage)

I have worked in television for the past ten years and,.also quite closely with computers,..and graphic design.

I was thinking of upskilling into any area which you'd get me work there.

anybody done something similar?...any advice?...any areas where foreigners can get work..
    I hope to do tefl training later this year,..which will be a start

I'm open to all suggestions......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

Keep learning Spanish. You'll be very glad of even a little bit when you move over.

You'll probably need to move to a major city such as Madrid or Barcelona if you want to continue working in your current field. As in Ireland though I'd say contacts are all important in your line of work, which can make it difficult starting off. Barcelona in particular has many design based jobs. This is a handy website for seeing what's on offer: www.loquo.com

There are many people teaching English in Spain so doing a TEFL course that gives you teaching experience would be an advantage. Of course there is always the bar/restaurant type work which can be found easily in tourist areas during the season.

If the TEFL/bar work type thing doesn't sound appealing it should be possible to find a job more suitable for your experience. The keyword to doing this though will have to be PATIENCE. The job market in Spain is nothing like in Ireland but if you're prepared to keep hunting for a good few months it should be possible to track down something that interests you.

If you target the more internationally focused companies, where having native English would be an advantage, then you should have more success. I did this myself and got lucky with a well paid position (by Spanish standards anyway) which allows me to fully imerse in life over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 silverroof56

thanks a mil

I'm busy with spanish classes,..and I just need to set a few goals I think and possibly retrain in a few diffrent areas.
    I hope to stay away from the bar type thing,..donw that before,..and I would'nt be looking to become a millionaire.
    thanks for the web site,..I'll look that up

Advertisement