Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full of life

Options
  • 11-05-2006 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am in college a couple of yrs and hang around with a great gang of people one girl who I only see the odd time ,has now become more part of this gang I have always found her quite simplely perfect to look at and she is clever ,funny all rolled into one . The more time we spend together I now know she is the one for me. We have kissed and a little bit more, she is 19 I am nearly 21, We have been seeing each other really since Xmas 2004 .So I was to meet her family who are normal hard working average people .But a few of the gang who know the family for yrs start to say wait till you meet her Dad and Sisters they are up for a laugh good crack and all that.I just thought ok great as you would, now I know my GF great to say that by the way is a bit easy going and a little wild and and has her views and that is that. Few eg when we went to meet her Parents and 3 sisters came along after looking at the mother I know where they all get their looks. we went to Eddie Rockets all eating then one of the sisters says race you guys.Then all of a sudden everyone apart from the Mother and me eat all I can say like hungry pigs food been eating like I never seen before and mu GF wins sauces all over their faces and they all break into real loud laughter so much everybody there looked at our table. They did not bat an eyelid just thought it was great fun which I suppose it was.They seem to play jokes all the time with each other, ie when their Father was playing in his Captains Day the daughters took out his Putter out of his golf bag and he only reliased it was missing when he was on the 1st green.He told me the story and just said I got them back a beauty. We have said we love each other and it feels like the real thing. I then later that night mentioned with a few drinks on board how they looked like pigs eating. My GF just said straight there and then if I never say anything about her family in a negative way again it will be the last time we ever speak and she meant it, I meant no offence as they are really nice if not a bit mad. Now I want her to meet my family who are great but my Mother is a snob and my older sister is to, and they do say some stupid things about certain areas been bad and so on my GF comes from an area that has been on the news for the wrong things if u know what I mean lately. If anything is said I know even though she will be on her own with me and she meets my family she will tell them to get stuffed and just leave.I cant really speak to my family about this as they think they are always right. I want to spend the reat of my life with this girl.So any advice please

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

sounds like an adam sandler movie

well, you can choose your g/f but not her family.
    We all of us have to contend with this to some degree. All you can do is sit back, bite your tongue and watch :D
    Honestly, it's not like you will have to spend a huge amount of time with either side when ye are together.
    Tell her what to expect in advance and ask her to do you the big favour of trying not to loose it with them if they say the wrong thing.
    She obviously cares a lot for her family and has told you she doesn't want to hear anything negative, she can at least return the favour. Don't know why she's so uptight about it though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

You want advice? Use paragraphs. ...sorry, but that was impossiable to read.

Just don't slag her family, and explain what your's are like. It'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

the saying "Ya can't choose ya family" is very true.... my wifes family are in my opinion a bunch of headers...(get up to allsorts of nutty stuff, like watching an Irish version of Eastenders !) and then she thinks mine is full of sanctimonious self obsessed a$$holes...(she does have a point) and thus the whole inlaw thing plays out on both sides, though both acknowledge how their families appear to the outside world....

Its just whats normal for you may not be normal for others but...

In my opinion, you're entitled to yours and your GF should respect that, especially if its not intended in a bad way... you should equally be open to her commentary on your family if you venture an opinion on hers...

FBP..

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭cerebis

also you can't predict what ur parents are going to say, my mom kept calling my new girlfriend by my ex's name..new girlfriend was not too happy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

I am in college a couple of yrs and hang around with a great gang of people one girl who I only see the odd time ,has now become more part of this gang I have always found her quite simplely perfect to look at and she is clever ,funny all rolled into one . The more time we spend together I now know she is the one for me. We have kissed and a little bit more, she is 19 I am nearly 21, We have been seeing each other really since Xmas 2004 .So I was to meet her family who are normal hard working average people .But a few of the gang who know the family for yrs start to say wait till you meet her Dad and Sisters they are up for a laugh good crack and all that.I just thought ok great as you would, now I know my GF great to say that by the way is a bit easy going and a little wild and and has her views and that is that. Few eg when we went to meet her Parents and 3 sisters came along after looking at the mother I know where they all get their looks. we went to Eddie Rockets all eating then one of the sisters says race you guys.Then all of a sudden everyone apart from the Mother and me eat all I can say like hungry pigs food been eating like I never seen before and mu GF wins sauces all over their faces and they all break into real loud laughter so much everybody there looked at our table. They did not bat an eyelid just thought it was great fun which I suppose it was.They seem to play jokes all the time with each other, ie when their Father was playing in his Captains Day the daughters took out his Putter out of his golf bag and he only reliased it was missing when he was on the 1st green.He told me the story and just said I got them back a beauty. We have said we love each other and it feels like the real thing. I then later that night mentioned with a few drinks on board how they looked like pigs eating. My GF just said straight there and then if I never say anything about her family in a negative way again it will be the last time we ever speak and she meant it, I meant no offence as they are really nice if not a bit mad. Now I want her to meet my family who are great but my Mother is a snob and my older sister is to, and they do say some stupid things about certain areas been bad and so on my GF comes from an area that has been on the news for the wrong things if u know what I mean lately. If anything is said I know even though she will be on her own with me and she meets my family she will tell them to get stuffed and just leave.I cant really speak to my family about this as they think they are always right. I want to spend the reat of my life with this girl.So any advice please

Sounds like your both too immature for all this, especially her. 19 and meeting the parents:rolleyes: . Think you should slow things down a bit there son. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What's wrong with being 19 and meeting the parents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

that dad is a legend!

you really put your foot in it when you said that about her family, there are no two ways about it. The more I think about the situation the more I respect Beruthiel's analogy about the movie, more like Meet the Fockers tho.

anyway good luck dude

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Marts wrote:
    more like Meet the Fockers tho.

that's the one I meant! :D

Advertisement