Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carnivale, worth buying?

Options
  • 10-05-2006 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭

I've been thinking of getting S1 of Carnivale on DVD, and seeing as how it's only £25.99 (€38) on play.com right now I'm thinking why not.

I don't klnow anything about it really, plot wise or characters etc, but there seem to be quite a few fans here raving about it. I actually don't want to know much about it either, just if it's good (as in Lost or Prison Break kind of good).

So is it worth the buy, Yay or Nay?

Worth Buying? 12 votes

Yay
    0%
    Nay
    100%
    Karomajor elSmurfpisscosgrove80Agent OrangeCastorTroytvnutzDaelusDoodlebuglostexpectationmamboblackwrx 12 votes
    A.J.
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I would say yay. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Nay
    Only 38 euro? It was 80 when I last checked,Ill have to look into getting it myself.

IMO,it is worth getting,great show. But it is nothing like Lost or Prison Break. Season 1 is very slow moving,make that very very very,and if you don't have much patience you will probably just get annoyed and end up not liking it. Season 2 speeds up a lot more and is also great but as you may know the show was cancelled so thats another thing that might put you off. We don't get a proper conclusion to the show.

Despite that Id say its worth getting. Visually its amazing,the acting is brilliant,the mythology in the storyline is so deep that it can get confusing.It is HBO after all so you know it has to be some way decent :D Also 38euro for a HBO boxset is very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Nay
    On cdwow it's €60, or €82 for the Region 1 set. I don't see much difference between them, both have comentaries and making of featurette.

Thanks for the comments. I didn't think it'd be like lost/PB but wondered is it addictive in that way. HBO series tend to be in a class of their own, with the full story breaking out over the entire season. I'll probably go for it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Nay
    As pointed out above it is very slow to develop but it's a great show.

Well worth it. Oh, how I wish there was a third series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Nay
    yeah it took me ages to watch the whole season, the episodes were quite slow paced. but good. its very strange but very good. superb acting, everybody looks a little creepy though. i love the priest guy the most. he's feckin deadly. have yet to see season 2 will do so this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Show never really grabbed me to be honest but that's just me..

Not saying i didn't enjoy it as a whole but when people ask me about it, i can't really recommend much about it besides the fantastic acting from most of the leads (especially and most notably Clancy Brown but also Michael Anderson, Clea DuVall and Nick Stahl).

Best trying to catch the first few episodes before deciding on the seasons. As it may or may not be the type of show that grabs ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Nay
    I'd definitely recommend it. As mentioned earlier, it has very high production values and a great cast...

It has a slow-burning, malevolent, almost claustrophobic plot ("Grapes of Wrath" meets "The Exorcist"? :) ) and the priest and Ben Hawkins are great characters!

A real shame they cancelled it after season 2. Well worth a watch. It has many fans on the net, so who knows - they may see the light and green-light another series...!

(Fair play to TG4 for showing it!! I caught it half way through series 2, so bought Series 1 box set ages ago).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Love this show - a definite buy! Can't wait to pick up season 2. Now, if only they'd come up with some way to continue the story...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Nay
    what are the extras like

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Nay
    The extras include 3 commentaries as well as a making of.
    The show's really good and the second series really moved along quicker than I expected.
    As for it being cancelled, I just mentioned in another thread that I read on darkhorizons.com that HBO are meant to be making a couple of tv movies to wrap up the storylines and if they do well then it might be picked up for a new series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Nay
    Well I finished S1 now and it definitely grabbed me. 2nd season isn't out till August I think, anyone know if it's being repeated on any TV channel at the moment? It's on FX I believe, and was on TG4.

I think I'll have to watch it all again as there's so much involved in it, it's hard to take it all in. Bad news to hear it's been cancelled :mad: but movies/mini-series to finish it with would be nice.

Advertisement